EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-16 20:43:29 - last edited 2020-09-17 08:55:37
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 0.9 v6034.0 Build 200318 Rel.37375n

Hi,

So I have two EC230-G1 devices (it's not on the Model list, I picked a similar one), first one is on the attic, works in router mode, has an Internet cable connected to the WAN port, DHCP enabled, range 192.168.0.100 - 199. The second one is on the ground floor, configured as an Access Point, has a WAN port connected to the 1st LAN port in the router (first device), DHCP disabled.

Both devices have WiFi configured to the same SSID and Password, channels are set to Auto, according to the configuration they're working on different channels.

The issue is that when I'm going downstairs to the ground floor and my devices are switching to the WiFi from the Access Point they say that they cannot connect to the internet (not to the WiFi itself, the WiFi signal and strength is OK). My Mac says that it couldn't get IP assigned and has a self-assigned IP, Android devices show me exclamation mark and information No internet access next to the WiFi icon.

After a while (like 2-3 minutes), the issue fixes itself and devices get new IPs and are working correctly. The issue also doesn't occur when I'm on the ground floor and connect to WiFi from there - everything works fine. The issue doesn't occur when I'm going upstairs and I'm being reconnected to the router from the Access Point.

What I tried and it didn't help:

- setting the same WiFi channels

- setting Static IP of the access point within the DHCP range (192.168.0.100)

- setting Static IP of the access point outside the DHCP range (192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.254)

- enabling DHCP on the access point with different IP range (192.168.1.100-199)

There's also some suspicious WiFi setting called Enable Easymesh settings, however, I didn't mess with it as I couldn't find any reliable info about what it does.

I suspect some strange Firmware issues connected with DHCP in Access Point, however, it's a blind guess, also I couldn't find any firmware update for my device, also there's no any TP-Link support page for it.

What I'm trying to achieve is to have the same WiFi SSID on all floors in my house and have devices switching between them without dropping the internet connection for a long time.

It seems that the same issue happens for Archer routers: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/186586 . Any ideas how to fix it?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it-Solution
2020-09-17 08:55:06 - last edited 2020-09-17 08:55:37

@TomaszG 

Hello, thanks for the detailed information, appreciate that.

May I know where did you get this EC230-G1 device? It seems a customized version for Service Providers in the local market, which means the firmware of the router might be self-designed by your ISP.

Generally, the support for this customized version will be covered by your ISP, and we suggest you contact your ISP first to check if there is any limitation on the firmware.

BTW, you may try to connect the AP on the ground floor to the main router via its LAN port but not WAN port, set a static IP for it such as 192.198.0.2, then disable DHCP on it to give it a go.

Sorry about that.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it-Solution
2020-09-20 20:06:19 - last edited 2020-09-21 09:46:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, thank you for the answer, it seems that connecting the access point via LAN port helped and now everything works fine.

Answering your question, in fact, I got the first router from my ISP. The second one I bought by myself in an online store with network hardware, I wasn't aware that it's some strange customized version, however, I see that both have the same firmware so I doubt that firmware is customized. Could you tell me where I could get firmware updates for this device?

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2020-09-17 08:55:06 - last edited 2020-09-17 08:55:37

@TomaszG 

May I know where did you get this EC230-G1 device? It seems a customized version for Service Providers in the local market, which means the firmware of the router might be self-designed by your ISP.

Generally, the support for this customized version will be covered by your ISP, and we suggest you contact your ISP first to check if there is any limitation on the firmware.

BTW, you may try to connect the AP on the ground floor to the main router via its LAN port but not WAN port, set a static IP for it such as 192.198.0.2, then disable DHCP on it to give it a go.

Sorry about that.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-20 20:06:19 - last edited 2020-09-21 09:46:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, thank you for the answer, it seems that connecting the access point via LAN port helped and now everything works fine.

Answering your question, in fact, I got the first router from my ISP. The second one I bought by myself in an online store with network hardware, I wasn't aware that it's some strange customized version, however, I see that both have the same firmware so I doubt that firmware is customized. Could you tell me where I could get firmware updates for this device?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it
2020-09-21 09:46:33

@TomaszG 

Hi, glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

If you want to get a firmware update, you need to contact your ISP, who will be in charge of that.

Good days.

Options
Re:EC230-G1 AC1350 in Access Point mode drops the internet connection when client connects to it
2020-12-01 06:08:03

@Kevin_Z Hello... my EC230-G1 is used as an extender and we have connected to the main router without any cable. We are seeing the internet drop multiple times a day. Request if you can suggest a solution for the same.

Options
2020-12-01 07:14:27

@SKHERE4U 

Thanks for asking, while as mentioned above that this model is specially designed for the local ISPs, so the firmware is customized, I'm afraid we cannot provide you further suggestions.

Generally, if the connection between the extender and the main network is not stable, it is mainly caused by the wireless channel switching on the main router, you may check if you can fix the wireless channel on the router, then reboot the EC230-G1 to rebuild the connection.

Meanwhile, the distance and interference between the two can make big difference, so it is suggested to put the EC230-G1 in the location where you can get at least 2-3 bars signal from the main.

Options
2020-12-01 18:25:37

@Kevin_Z 

To be honest, I don't get the excuse that the firmware is customised. My EC230-G1 came up to me with stock/OEM firmware delivered by TP-Link. I have a problem with it which is clearly a firmware bug (you should really hire better testers/QAs, in 5 minutes I found 5 bugs in the firmware), and now you're saying "go to your ISP". My ISP doesn't have a software development department, they're not able to fix those bugs. You should take that report and release fixed FW version to ISPs and probably also to users who get those devices from resellers. If I only knew that it's not supported by TP-Link I wouldn't buy it. What's more, googling that model shows TP-Link sites on top, however, when we report bugs to you, the only answer is "go to your ISP". You should at least provide a list of available firmwares so I would have information whether my ISP can provide me an update or not. 

Now I feel like I bought an overpaid chinese router from Aliexpress, without any support and with a poor firmware.

Options
2020-12-02 02:52:50

@TomaszG 

We are sorry to disappoint you, while we cannot help you, as you can see this model is only listed for the Service Providers, so the firmware is customized, we cannot help you further:

https://www.tp-link.com/search/?q=EC230-G1&s=

If you do buy it from the reseller (Aliexpress), you may check this with the local tech support team and see if they have any other suggestions for you.

Apologies for all the inconvenience.

Options
2021-05-20 17:55:02

@Kevin_Z 

does the c6 firmware work in this model ?

Kevin_Z wrote

@TomaszG 

Sorry about that.

Options
2021-05-21 03:23:26

@adelinoneto 

No, they are built with different hardware and firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4915

Replies: 9