Directional Antenna positioning & Wifi antennas

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-17 09:14:27
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Dear all,

I have installed an Archer MR200 router with a directional External LTE Antenna (From ISKRA) to boost the 4g reception on a remote farm. The antenna is is made for LTE routers and comes with 2 cables in order for the MIMO Technology to work properly.

I have 2 questions: 

Is there any easy way to figure out the optimal direction i should point the Antenna towards. Its on a 3 meter pole on the roof, so its not so easy to change direction and test the speed. In the admin panel of the router i can see Percentage of signal strength, but this seems to either not very accurate and is on 50% all the time. How do i find out the best position. There is no direct line of sight to the nearest cell tower, so I am suspecting the signal to either go over or around some gentle hills in between us and the cell tower.

Another question is. Now that the two antenna ports are taken by the external antenna for receiving the 4G signal. How is the wifi transmitted inside our building. There seems to be ok network, but the Antennas are on the roof.... Does the router have internal Wifi Antennas to create the WIFI network or is it using the external antennas?

Hope you can help me with these questions!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Directional Antenna positioning & Wifi antennas
2020-09-17 09:51:38

@Adamski 

Last question first: WiFi does only use internal antennas. The external antennas don't affect WiFi.

The first question is a bit more complicated to answer. Radiowaves of that frequency don't travel over, or around obstacles. They either go through objects (like buildings, but not through hills), or they arrive via a reflection (off buildings or off hills). In the first case you will have to point the antenna in the direction of the tower. In the second case you would have to point the antenna to the point of reflection.

Maybe your provider can help you locating the correct position. Generally you can use the RSRP value for maximum signal strength, but the other values play a role as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 893

Replies: 1