Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
45 Reply
Re: Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco
2021-05-27 04:18:17

@DongleBerry hi. So how you solve this? Or other brand can recommend?

Options
2021-06-14 08:01:56 - last edited 2021-06-14 08:06:59

Hi Takkhor,

Sorry for the late reply, I never resolved this. I just have to live with it. My PlayStation and my main PC are hard-wired into the existing BT router for best speeds. All my other devices have the drop, so I just live with it because I don't really need a "100% up-time" on them.

As we speak my Ethernet port dropped so my work PC swapped over to Wi-FI and I have this constant, unusable drop issue!

Regards

Kevin

Options
2022-01-10 16:41:57

@TP-Link_Deco   I have a brand new set up S4s and I'm having the exact same issue.  I have a computer plugged directly into my cable modem and pings are perfect until I plug in the S4, then it goes to 60% packet loss.  This computer is hard wired, not passing through the S4 at all but yet as soon as the S4 is plugged in, the packet loss is instantaneous.

KBillingsley

Options
2022-05-15 19:10:24

@HelloRabbit I just had a similar issue with my X-55 mesh network (3 nodes).  Roughly every 8th packet was lost and maybe another 10% of packets had crazy (3000+ms) pings, making online games unplayable.  I had tried other settings, such as disabling 5ghz/2.4ghz, beam forming, fast roaming, etc as well as factory reset of my router and even had Comcast out to check and replace some lines.  None of those resolved anything. 

What eventually resolved it was going into the app on my phone, then Overview > Internet (the globe at the top of the screen), and into the individual Decos.  I then disabled MESH for any device that wasn't going to be moving around, such as my desktop and my TV.

I saw an immediate difference, going from about 15% packet loss to less than 1%, and average ping times were 18 ms (pinging 8.8.8.8).  Speed tests from both speedtest.net and Google went from about 100 Mbps to 200+ Mbps.

I hope that can help others, I have spent many hours over the last week working on this, it's been a real pain!

Options
2022-07-04 08:10:50 - last edited 2022-07-04 08:11:26

So I think I fixed this. Previously I had my M9 connected to a BT Home Hub that was connected to a phone socket in the house. I recently moved to BT Fibre which does not go through a phone socket and has a direct rj45 ethernet connect to the hub. I still had the problem when I connect the M9's to the new Fibre Home Hub.

BUT, from reading around I found I could connect the M9's directly to the RJ45 fibre line without the need for the BT hub. I then was able to set the M9's to router mode and I haven't had spike yet. 

I thought it was down to the double natting with the BT router, but it still happened when I had them set to "Access Point" mode, so it still doesn't explain what was causing the issue.

M9 settings for BT broadband

More --> Advanced --> IPv4

Internet connection type = PPPoe

Username = bthomehub@btbroadband dot com (it thinks the normal dot com is an external link so I can't type it)

Password = BT

Obtain DNS Auto = Yes

Restarted M9's and worked.

This might not fix everyone's issue as I am BT fibre, but the issue looks to be the ISP's supplied router that is causing the issue.

Regards

Options
Related Articles