Broken QoS on MR600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Broken QoS on MR600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Broken QoS on MR600
Broken QoS on MR600
2020-09-28 04:14:31
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200417 Rel.75138n

The QoS feature on this router is absolutely terrible.

Instead of using any popular algorithm for QoS what you are doing is reserving a percentage of bandwidth for high/medium and low priority users/protocols. To do this, You ask for the expected bandwidth completely ignoring the fact that this is actually a LTE router and in 99% cases, People won't be getting constant amount of bandwidth throughout the day unlike for example a Fiber or ADSL connection.

So, We have no way to know how much bandwidth the router will be able to pull from a cell tower at any given point in time and as such, We can't enter the expected bandwidth in the router.

If we enter a smaller value than the actual bandwidth, speed on the devices gets capped compared to the speed they could be getting.

If we enter a higher value than what is actually available, QoS just doesn't do it's job all that well.

Ideally, You should be prioritizing traffic from a machine/port by following any of the popular QoS algorithm but what you seem to be doing here looks like a complete mess.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Broken QoS on MR600
2020-09-28 09:19:10

@ishanjain28 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

The constant bandwidth of the 3/ 4G router due to the cell tower is truly a problem and has not been taken into consideration.

Maybe you could use the maximum speed you had even got from the modem, or tested on the smartphone to see how much internet bandwidth is;

Later we would also like to report your feedback to our senior engineers for further evaluation.

Thank you very much for your good ideas.

If you have any other better ideas, please feel free to post it here;

Thanks a lot!

Options
2020-09-28 17:52:58
> Maybe you could use the maximum speed you had even got from the modem, or tested on the smartphone to see how much internet bandwidth is; This is not really a resolution for this issue. I can't sit around measuring and adjust bandwidth in the QoS menu all day. The fix for this will be to implement QoS in a bit more sane way than how you have implemented it right now.
Options
2020-09-29 12:04:47
Kindly check your message
Regards, Abhi
Options
2020-09-29 12:05:11

@ishanjain28 kindly check your messages .

Regards, Abhi
Options
2021-05-19 08:29:08 - last edited 2021-05-19 09:13:31

@ishanjain28 

Any update from TP-LINK on this?
In reality the router does not have any QoS or congestion management only a sloppy implementation of caps based on 'real' speed which you cannot define with any accuracy on LTE. This is a pity as this is a super basic feature found on entry level products with half the cost. Other than that the router performs very well. I hope TP-LINK addresses this fast with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks

Options
2021-05-19 19:39:46

It's not just broken, it actually cripples the router by disabling NAT acceleration. I tried using QoS to get SIP working acceptably, it went from barely usable to completely unusable, however much bandwidth I reserved for SIP.

I think this POS router is too underpowered to do everything it claims. Disabling the LTE modem dragged SIP over the line to mostly usable. That's despite all the extra delays & complication feeding it from a phone USB tethered to a PC adds.

It's underspecced - a trash bin router pretending to be a midrange device. Sold under false pretences.

Options
2021-10-22 08:29:24

@Sunshine Waiting for a reply, like everyone else here. Will this be fixed in a firmware update anytime soon?

I have Starlink and 4G as a fallback. Bandwith varies between 120 and 400+ mbps, the fallback has not been used for months, but used to vary between 8 and 25 mbps.

If I set my speed to 120 mbps on QoS, will this mean that there will only be 120mbps max for the high priority, even if I have 400mbps available?

If I set my speed to 400 mbps, but for some amount of time only have 120mbps, will this mean that the middle and low prio will get nothing at all?

Please advise; the documentation does not show how this calculation really works internally. If at least I knew the actual mechanism, I could maybe find a compromise.

If no reply comes soon, I will have to leave the following sentences here for good, and google will help distribute this message globally. They have been formulated search engine friendly on purpose, as I believe customers should actively fight unfair business practices like false or misleading advertising, failing to support customers according to support claims, cutting corners on products and placing them on the market unfinished, making undeniable design mistakes and not taking corrective action and so on:

The TP-Link Archer MR600 bandwidth limit feature does not exist despite documentation claiming otherwise.

The TP-Link Archer MR600 does not have bandwidth limiting despite the false advertising and false documentation.

The TP-Link Archer MR600 QoS system does not work. 

The TP-Link Archer MR600 QoS system is undocumented and is not state of the art for a wireless router.

The TP-Link Archer MR600 documentation is wrong.

The TP-Link customer service is unresponsive.

The TP-Link technical support is unresponsive.

The TP-Link support staff does not know how their products work with sufficient level of detail.

The TP-Link first level support is a dead end with no functioning escalation to 2nd and 3rd level support even in obvious cases.

The above statements are true as found by me, an official Austrian judicial expert for software. However, I will edit my message accordingly, once corrective action is taken by TP-Link. 

As I seem to no longer need a mobile internet fallback, I will probably sell my Archer MR600 to some unsuspecting victim soon, and depending on the reaction here I may switch to a different brand altogether.

Options
2021-11-11 10:17:07

@JeltzProstetnic A lot of time has passed, the above is obviously true, so I will move away from this vendor and suggest everyone else does the same. The best product is worthless without support, and in this case the product isn't good either.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1776

Replies: 8