Archer C80 possible to turn into a wifi extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-05 08:19:54 - last edited 2021-03-02 09:37:35
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Ive seen the operation mode selection include wifi extension option on other tp link routers with similar browser accessed router settings. Bought the C80 in such hopes that it was new and had such an option aswell but it doesnt seem to include it. Any other way i can make the router into a wifi extender? If so, please explain it as you would to a small child or a golden retriever.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 possible to turn into a wifi extender?-Solution
2021-03-02 09:37:29 - last edited 2021-03-02 09:37:35

@Kenter 

Hi, we have recently released a new firmware that adds the support for WDS, you can install it on your C80 to confirm if you can set it up to extend the existing network:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c80/#Firmware

Archer C80(EU)_V1_210128

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Add support for WPA3.
2. Add support for WDS.
3. Add support for IGMPv3.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C80 possible to turn into a wifi extender?
2020-10-21 12:27:43 - last edited 2021-03-02 09:37:18

@Kenter 

Hello, the Archer C80 doesn't have the ability to be set up as a repeater/extender, it can only be configured as a wireless router or access point.

Options
Re:Archer C80 possible to turn into a wifi extender?-Solution
2021-03-02 09:37:29 - last edited 2021-03-02 09:37:35

@Kenter 

Hi, we have recently released a new firmware that adds the support for WDS, you can install it on your C80 to confirm if you can set it up to extend the existing network:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c80/#Firmware

Archer C80(EU)_V1_210128

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Add support for WPA3.
2. Add support for WDS.
3. Add support for IGMPv3.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-06 09:50:18

@Kevin_Z 

When configuring Archer C80 as WIFI Extender through WDS, it seems in the network map tab, the internet globe icon is disconnected, is it a spec?

I also noticed that device connected name become unknown. Is it a spec?

Options
2021-06-09 09:17:03

@EnzoConqueror 

What is the model of the main router? Does this C80 connect to that router wireless successfully via WDS? As far as I understand, the C80 connects to the main wireless via the virtual WAN when configuring the WDS, that could be the reason why it displays disconnected for the actual WAN.

As for the unknown device issue, can we have some screenshots? Does it display the correct name when it is working as Router mode? 

Options
2021-08-09 08:06:10 - last edited 2021-08-09 10:28:58

@Kevin_Z 

Hi there, just tried the WDS mode and it does work. However, I am now not able anymore to log in to the device via tplinkwifi.net or IP address.

EDIT: Very tricky stuff here...

-first setup all your WIFI stuff,

-then activate WDS, then (before you refresh your WIFI connection) change the LAN IP address to one in the DHCP range of your Internet Router!

-Then configuring is possible ONLY over that specific IP.

However, the Archers interface shows you that you have no internet access (even you do!) and some functions such as tplinkwifi.net automatic upgrade of the Firmware and other stuff which is obviously connected to that flaw is not working anymore. Perhaps that can be addressed for a future Firmware update?

Hope to hear from the support if that issue will be addressed and perhaps a time frame.

Thx.. greetings from Thailand

Options
2021-08-09 12:10:27

@Fezzi 

What is the IP address of the main router, and what is that of the C80? When your computer is connected to the wireless network of the C80, what is the IP address and default gateway? You may try to do a ping test, try to ping the IP of the main router, then ping that of the C80, then show us the result:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

The online upgrade or anything related to the WAN connection/Routing will not work when configuring the C80 to connect to the main network via Wi-Fi.

Options
2021-08-10 01:10:42

@Kevin_Z 

All works fine so far now when I give the C80 a IP address within the range of the main router... so in my case the main router is 192.168.1.1 and the C80 is now 192.168.1.250. Then the interface is accessible through the IP address. But no configuration possible anymore by the Theter App and I guess I can ditch as well DDNS.. no time yet to check it out but will report back when I do.

I had to configure the C80 DHCP settings as in the picture below to make it work. Important to mention that the default gateway is mandatory in order to have internet access!

Interesting was, that if I use the main router as DHCP, IP addresses were distributed to the WLAN clients but they had no internet access. So it seems that it is mandatory as well to use the C80 DHCP that it works.

Anyway, over all happy with the result but it would be great to get WDS as well in "Access Point" mode.

Thx for your quick reply and I hope some improvements will come with future Firmware upgrades... ;)

Options
2021-09-03 13:44:25

@Fezzi @Kevin_Z Hi all, I just bought the C80 couple of days ago and also expected it to be a repeater (even though it is not offered in the box). I performed the automatic firmware upgrade from Tether app and after that, in Router mode, the option for WDS was there!

So I configured it and in that section of the screen it showed me "connected" to my main router (TP-LINK DECO S4). After that, I rebooted the C80, disconnected the Ethernet cable from the DECO S4 and...NO INTERNET CONNECTION.

I configured the LAN IP of the C80 as you mentioned, in the same range of the DECO's DHCP, also activated DHCP in the C80 and left the WAN section in the C80 empty. After several tests the final conclusion for me is that:

• C80 detects my existing wireless network wirelessly.
  • I only can connect to my network with an ethernet cable connected to the C80.
  • When I unplug the cable, same thing, no internet.

I don't know if it is related to the fact that my actual landscape is as follows:

ISP Router(SSID 1)-->DECO S4(SSID 2)-->C80 connecting to SSID 2 through WDS.

When I called TP-Link support line they told me that I had to configure the WAN section with the main router's iP range and create another network in the LAN section, but that worked even worse.

If someone could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Luis Felipe

Options
2021-09-04 02:37:41
Just an update on this: I manually run the firmware upgrade to the latest version (it was the same one I had already) and somehow this helped because now I was able to disable the DHCP (yesterday that was not possible). It seems that since I had active DHCP on the C80 and on the main router it happened to have an ip conflict at some point, so i just disabled the DHCP on the C80 and used a free IP Address from the main router's range on the LAN config and it worked. With the cable, it seems to extend the signal naturally, only using a prefix routing to the main router (and shows me the SSID of the main router's network), but through wifi it shows me C80's SSID but with the IP range of the main router. I hope I have not sounded even more confusing. Thank you a lot. Regards, Luis Felipe
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 21925

Replies: 9

Related Articles