TL-MR6400 blocks vpn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-MR6400 blocks vpn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-MR6400 blocks vpn
TL-MR6400 blocks vpn
2020-10-10 16:31:40 - last edited 2020-10-11 08:29:56
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200511 Rel.43036n

Dear Admin

I recently purchased the above to be able to use with a "3" network data only sim to connect via a vpn to work.

I am on a Win10 machine,  connected directly to an ethernet port on the router,  the PC is connected to the internet and all appears well but if I try to connect to the office via a L2TP/IPsec VPN with a pre shared key,  it fails to connect.

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered  a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer"

I have run wireshark and if I filter for the IP of my works server I see no communication at all when I attempt to connect.

I tried using a different SIM from EE, and same results.

I installed the old Virgin broadband (still has a week left on it) and it works using the VPN settings I have entered.

The problem I think is the router is capturing traffic on the VPN port - it thinks I want to connect to its VPN server,  as the  wireshark would not show traffic to the works address if the router isn't routing it. The problem is not the computers,  is not the SIM card but the router.

Any help or suggestions please.

Many thanks

James

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-MR6400 blocks vpn
2020-10-12 16:47:32

@JamesC 

After looking at this for some time I disabled IPSec,  PPTP and L2TP pass-through,  rebooted the server.  I then enabled them again and I can now see an attempt at communication on wireshark to the office machine when attempting to connect to the VPN.  Which indicates that even though all three were originally marked as pass through somehow this was not happening.

This has obviously got me a bit worried about what is actually configured in the router as it doesn't seem to have been reporting it correctly.

So one step forward.

I now get an error of 

" The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed.  The most common cause for this failure is that at least one internet device (for example a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets.  If the problem persists contact your network administrator or ISP"

Firewalls were all disabled for testing.

GRE may use port 1723,  so this was explicitly enabled on my pc, and in the office,  but same issue which point to it not being on the router.

Question,  can this be set on an MR6400 ?  If so where ?

Many thanks for any help from anyone.

James

Options
2020-10-13 02:49:52 - last edited 2020-10-13 03:32:35

@JamesC 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Later we would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

At the same time, could you please help me double-check the following information

1. The L2TP/IPsec VPN server is located on the remote side, and the Ethernet computer is connected behind the MR6400, right?
  2. For the Virgin broadband router, did it work well on the same sim card of EE and Three?
  3. Have you tried to put the sim card into the smartphone, then enabled the mobile hotspot,  connect the computer to the mobile hotspot, and set up a VPN connection to the remote server on the computer to see what happened?
  4. By the way, what is the internet IP address on the MR6400?--you can find it on the basic>network map>internet IP address

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-13 13:11:06 - last edited 2020-10-13 13:15:36

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine,

1,  Yes the VPN server is located in the office.  My PC is located at home,  connected via ethernet to the mr6400

2,  The PC was connected via ethernet to the virgin router

3,  I cannot swap the sim card in the phone itself as its a different size to the one in the router (I have an adaptor to go the other way).  I have not been able to tether as have no wifi on the PC,  there is a usb wifi adaptor somewhere here but it will take a while for me to locate it.

4,  100.119.78.40

Many thanks

James

Options
2021-01-24 11:59:19

@JamesC 

Hi, I am just wondering if there was ever a solution or workaround to this problem?

I am having a very similar problem with using a '3' SIM Card, same model router and firmware and using a council laptop which we have now been given for remote working.  Connecting to the wifi or directly through ethernet connects fine but as soon as the council vpn tries to connect it either can't connect or connects briefly then kicks it out after about a minute or so showing 'unidentified network' so the vpn passthrough is not working on the router.  I have checked all the VPN passthrough options and all are enabled so unsure where to go from here as dont really want to replace the router if I can help it?

If I connect to any other router or my phone hotspot all works fine, just an issue with this particular router.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Options
2021-01-25 15:03:33

@JasonHeal 

Hi Jason,

I meant to post an update,  it transpired that the " technical staff " I was talking to at 3 network had lied to me consistently. The issue was that for personal accounts they do indeed block VPN's but if you have a company account they don't.  I am using a Vodaphone personal account or my works O2 account,  both allow the vpn connection.  I got fooled by looking at wireshark and believing what 3 had told me.

Regs

James

Options
2021-01-25 15:06:32

@JamesC 

Thanks for getting back so quickly, I will look into changing to a different mobile provider then.  Glad to hear it's not the router anyway!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1833

Replies: 6

Related Articles