Alternative to Travel Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-13 00:12:59 - last edited 2020-10-14 08:47:37
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.1.0.1 v0089.0 Build 170 828 Rel.57433n(4555)

Currntly using the travel router to connect to a hotel network. The router is connect to the rj45 data socket and the router swith is set to Share ETH. This give adequate and secure Wifi to my devices and circumvents the hotel Captive Portal login. However, the signal is not sufficient in other parts of the apartment. What if any are my alternatives? Been advised can't use a standard router to replicate what the travel router does. Any advice welcome on how I can achieve a better signal than the little TL-WR902AC can achieve.

Can I not replicate the settings on a more powerful standard roter?

Use a repeater, but I assume that would not provide a faster connection?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Alternative to Travel Router-Solution
2020-10-13 10:07:12 - last edited 2020-10-14 08:47:37

@Liketofly 

Hello, can you explain the "Share ETH" mode? Does it refer to the Hotspot router mode or other modes? Just to confirm, how is the WR902AC connected to the hotel internet? As per your description, it is connected with an rj-45, so I am quite confused, hope you could clarify, thanks. 

As far as I know, the hotel portal network may require users to pass the portal authentication before surfing the internet, there should be no issue connecting to the internet when adding a wireless router to it as long as the authentication popup window shows up. Upon this point, if the current WR902AC is working as a standard wireless router mode, then all the other wireless routers are able to handle that as well.

Good days~

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Alternative to Travel Router-Solution
2020-10-13 10:07:12 - last edited 2020-10-14 08:47:37

@Liketofly 

Hello, can you explain the "Share ETH" mode? Does it refer to the Hotspot router mode or other modes? Just to confirm, how is the WR902AC connected to the hotel internet? As per your description, it is connected with an rj-45, so I am quite confused, hope you could clarify, thanks. 

As far as I know, the hotel portal network may require users to pass the portal authentication before surfing the internet, there should be no issue connecting to the internet when adding a wireless router to it as long as the authentication popup window shows up. Upon this point, if the current WR902AC is working as a standard wireless router mode, then all the other wireless routers are able to handle that as well.

Good days~

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Alternative to Travel Router
2020-10-13 12:07:56

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

"Share ETH" mode. There is a three position switch on the side of the router one position being labeled "Share ETH". This is to configure the device as a standard wireless router. The router is connected to the hotels data socket via Ethernet cable and a power cable.

Once this is done you connect your device to the router wirelessly. If the hotel has an authentication process you will need to authenticate only once and only on one device.

For some this may be all that's required and you may have internet access. Just log your devices on to the routers WiFi and think I may have been lucky here but it was done such a long time ago now.

If no internet then you are required to setup TCP/IP Protocol in Obtain an IP address automatically mode on your computer. In the WAN connection type for hotels you choose Dynamic IP. Then choose whether to clone the mac address or not (no advice given here in instructions on whether to or not). Enable wireless bands and save and should be good to go.

Hope this clarifies things. Im confused as have been advised via TP-Link chat that a standard router cannot perform the same functions if the hotel has a captive portal. Have been unable to find any advice that doesn't relate to a travel router.

This little router has been a gem but just not up to the job with working from home.

Options
Re:Alternative to Travel Router
2020-10-14 08:46:53

@Liketofly 

Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation.

As we mentioned earlier, if the current WR902AC is working on the standard wireless router mode, then other wireless routers can handle it. The chat support may not be aware of that and that's why we asked you in the previous reply.

Sorry for any confusion caused by the answers, but hopefully this will clear it. Good days~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1216

Replies: 3