TP-Link Extender Wifi Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-23 10:45:01 - last edited 2020-11-07 13:40:52
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need help with my new netplugs.  My new TP-link extender (both the same), the wifi cuts out and speeds are not consistent anymore after 2 weeks from purchase.  My downstairs router with Virgin Media gives 300 Mbps download, 30 Mbps upload via WIFI.  Upstairs is total WIFI dead zone with netplugs.  i upgrading my netplugs to TP-Link WPA4220 with 2 extenders.  Initially after setup got speeds of 30 Mbps down, 30 Mbps up which is very good compared to the old Solwise plugs. But after 2 weeks the performance of the WIFI is now terrible- the WIFI keeps cutting out, speeds not consistent, at times no WIFI yet via ethernet cable always excellent?  2 weeks ago I could watch 4k tv (ethernet) and use the internet via WIFI on my iphone all through the extender at the same time without issues.  Now when I use a broadband speed app, the downloads range from 30 to 0.5, uploads sometimes no connection.  Why has the performance deteriorated?  I have reset, re-installed, done everything to fix it but can't.  Note the speeds via ethernet from extender is always fast at 60Mbps consistently, just the WIFI problem.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Extender Wifi Issues-Solution
2020-10-29 04:41:43 - last edited 2020-11-07 13:40:52

@denyason 

If wifi signal is disappearing from the WPA-4220, check the hardware version. I bet you have v4 if you bought them recently?

link to tplink forum

If ethernet speeds to sockets on the 4220 powerline adapters are always okay, then your wifi problems may simply be due to wifi interference from various sources.  eg. if you can see your neighbour's wifi networks, then it is a source of interference.   The problem can be bad on very congested 2.4 GHz band.

The TL-WPA4220 is a single band 2.4 GHz wifi product.

Try using app like Wifi Analyzer if you have android phone to check congestion.  You can try changing the wifi channel numbers to 1, 6 or 11 on the 4220 to see if it helps.   You may need to check the channel number your Virgin hub is using too.

Otherwise, look at 5 GHz wifi products if your wifi devices support 5 GHz wifi.   5 GHz wifi has much shorter range, so there is less interference from neighbours unless you happen to live in a high density apartment block !

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link Extender Wifi Issues-Solution
2020-10-29 04:41:43 - last edited 2020-11-07 13:40:52

@denyason 

If wifi signal is disappearing from the WPA-4220, check the hardware version. I bet you have v4 if you bought them recently?

link to tplink forum

If ethernet speeds to sockets on the 4220 powerline adapters are always okay, then your wifi problems may simply be due to wifi interference from various sources.  eg. if you can see your neighbour's wifi networks, then it is a source of interference.   The problem can be bad on very congested 2.4 GHz band.

The TL-WPA4220 is a single band 2.4 GHz wifi product.

Try using app like Wifi Analyzer if you have android phone to check congestion.  You can try changing the wifi channel numbers to 1, 6 or 11 on the 4220 to see if it helps.   You may need to check the channel number your Virgin hub is using too.

Otherwise, look at 5 GHz wifi products if your wifi devices support 5 GHz wifi.   5 GHz wifi has much shorter range, so there is less interference from neighbours unless you happen to live in a high density apartment block !

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP-Link Extender Wifi Issues
2020-10-29 11:43:18

@bob888 thank you for the great advice.  Yes my neighbours wifi must be interfering.

Options
Re:TP-Link Extender Wifi Issues
2020-11-07 13:42:25
thank you. i have changed the wifi channels and its great. im fully connected, wifi speakers, everything is good- thank you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 693

Replies: 3

Related Articles