TL-PA201 Powerline Adapter suddenly disconnecting on PS4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 18:51:22
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

Model: TL-PA201 - 200Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter.

Hardware Version: V2

Firmware Version: 1.0.0

ISP: TalkTalk (Fibre)

Recently my TP-LINK TL-PA201 Powerline Adapter is disconnecting. The adapter is currently plugged into my PS4. I've had this adapter for 10 years. I also have 2 additional adapters of the same model. This particular adapter is plugged into the spare wallsocket. It disconnects after 5-10 mins. All the LED lights i.e PWR, PLC, Eth switch off.
I have also tried this in my laptop (running Windows 10 Pro) and the same issue occurs.

Things I've tried so far with no positive outcome

• I swapped the adapter and the other appliance plugged next to it over.
  • Tried plugging it into the extension lead
  • Swapped ethernet cables

If I switch off at the wall outlet and switch back on the adapter shows no sign of life.

If I unplug it from the outlet and plug it back in. Then switch on at the outlet all the front LED lights come back on the powerline adapter. The connectivity lasts for 5-10 minutes.

Questions

1. Can someone advise what I can try next?
  2. Do i need to upgrade this particular powerline adapter? I have 3 of these in the house so do i need to upgrade all of them or can i mix and match TP-LINK adapters?
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-PA201 Powerline Adapter suddenly disconnecting on PS4
2020-10-29 03:23:51 - last edited 2020-10-29 03:30:22

@BoltX1 

Given its 10 years age, it's probably has a power supply fault if the Power LED doesn't light up.

Defective/leaking capacitor common problem with all ageing electronics.   When one dies, the others follow soon after if they were all bought at same time.   If you search youtube for 'TL-PA2010 repair', it shows how to replace the faulty capacitor on the later TL-PA2010 model.

You should in theory be able to mix newer TL-PA4010 AV500/600 mbps adapters as they should be backward compatible with your old 200 mbps adapters.

Options
Re:TL-PA201 Powerline Adapter suddenly disconnecting on PS4
2020-10-29 10:14:09 - last edited 2020-10-29 10:19:43

@bob888 Appreciate you getting back to me. I've already ordered TP-LINK TL-PA7017 Kit yesterday and it's on its way. It's the same price that I paid for the twin pack of 200Mbps Adapters at that time with free delivery.

From what I understand the newer models will work with the previous models but at the speed of the previous models in theory as well due to Homeplug AV standard.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 856

Replies: 2

Related Articles