Poor powerlink adapter performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 22:22:13
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I bought this recently: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00C2ICYPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a UPS which is where my router is plugged in. Next to the outlet for UPS, I've plugged the powerlink adapter. 25 feet ahead in my living room, I've plugged the range extender. The extender works because the Powerlink light is on. My internet speed as per Speedtest on my PC (with ethernet) is ~70Mbps. Before I bought the set, I already had a range extender. With the ranger extender, I got a speed of ~25Mbps on my living room TV. After setting everything up I sometimes reach ~35Mbps. A very small speed difference. I would've thought that if I connected the Fire Stick via Ethernet to the Adapter I would get at least 90% of my original speed.

There are only two outlets on my wall. 1 for the UPS and 1 for the Powerlink Adapter.

I don't know anything about the electrical wiring in my house. What do I need to find out and whom do I need to ask to get those answers?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Poor powerlink adapter performance
2020-10-29 03:58:34

@lordlance 

You mentioned speed of 35 mbps.   Most modern phones and laptops only have 1 aerial.   35 mbps it typical speed for 2.4 ghz wifi.

Connect a computer to ethernet port on WPA-4220 extender and perform a speed test.   50-60mbps is considered good for AV500/600 poweline products in my experience if your property has good wiring with minimal interference from electrical appliances (eg. UPS etc).

Options
2020-10-29 04:00:41

@bob888 I've tried plugging in the ethernet to the TV. Same speed.

Options
2020-10-29 04:11:16 - last edited 2020-10-29 04:13:00

@lordlance 

You could use the TPlink powerline Utility to check the link speeds between adapters.

But TBH, if measured ethernet speed is 36 mbps, then it is as good as you'll get for your property's electrical wiring and electrical noise.

Perhaps try removing the UPS and see if speeds improve if electrical noise is causing the problem.  Then try moving the adapter to another wall socket in the room further away from the UPS.

If you examine the consumer unit (fuse box), you may be able to determine if the router and TV are on the same ring mains.  Performance is usually a bit better if the adapters are on the same ring mains.

At end of the day, powerline products are a product of 'convenience' to avoid drilling holes through walls and laying ethernet cables.  They are not a substitute for hard wired ethernet cabling if best speed and reliability are important.

Options
2020-10-29 04:12:57

@bob888 I just need ~60Mbps speed on my 100Mbps connection. What should I do? I am my wit's end. I have tried range extenders, tried different Wi-Fi settings and had my router replaced twice (for different reasons.)

I was told having two routers on the same connection can cause issues?

Options
2020-10-29 04:18:29 - last edited 2020-10-29 04:25:04

@lordlance 

For wifi, you should be using 5 GHz wireless for speeds above 30 mbps.  5 GHz wifi signals have much shorter range than 2.4 GHz.

For ethernet, try 1000 mb powerline adapters, look at mesh wifi solutions, or simply bite the bullet and do things properly by installing ethernet cables to rooms where higher speeds required.

Options
2020-10-29 04:21:56

@bob888 5Ghz can't reach my living room from my room unfortunately. Mesh systems are very expensive.

Options
2020-10-29 04:28:13 - last edited 2020-10-29 04:29:49

@lordlance 

fwiw, I'd personally just lay an ethernet cable to the room, and if wifi is required, install a wireless access point on the end of the cable.

eg. Archer C50 or A5 AC1200 router offer Access Point mode.

You can also buy a USB to ethernet adapter for the newer Amazon Fire sticks.

Options
2020-10-29 06:00:59

@bob888 WAP is how routers give WiFi? Or is it different?

If I installed two routers would I have an issue?

Options
2020-10-29 08:22:36 - last edited 2020-10-29 08:32:11

@lordlance 

You can install as many wireless access points as you wish provided their wifi do not interfere with each other.  In a 'normal' network, there is just one 'router' which is used to connect the network to the internet service.

Routers such as Archer C50 offer 'Router' and 'Wireless Access Point' modes.  

Look up the C50 emulator and click on 'Operation mode'

TPlink emulators

If you do choose to install a cable, you could just buy flexible patch (multi-stranded wires) cable with or without plugs on the ends.  Note if you buy a cable with premoulded plugs on the end, you will need a big hole(s) in the wall to safely push the plug through it without damaging the fragile plug!

Alternatively, a better professional option is to install RJ45 wall sockets which use 'solid core' pure-copper ethernet cable. Some advice here.

youtube video for cat 6 wall socket wiring

Options
2020-11-01 02:51:26

@bob888 So it turns out that my TV does indeed have an ethernet port. That simplify things. My question now is that since they are in different rooms the wire will be sent from my room to the roof back to the hall outside. Do I need to install another fibre cable or can I use a very very long ethernet cable? The distance might be roughly 100 feet (room to roof, back to my hall.)

Can two fibre wires be installed for the same connection from the roof?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1304

Replies: 12

Related Articles