Speed problem: doesn't even reach 5 Mb/s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-30 23:35:24 - last edited 2020-11-02 09:21:48

Hello everyone. I own a AV600 Powerline wi-fi kit.

I tried to solve this problem without posting a new thread, but I did not find any older thread reporting numbers as low as mine. As mentioned, my extender doesn't reach 5 Mb/s download (it's stuck at around 3 Mb/s, actually) and I can't figure out where the issue could be. I know that it can't be due to the non-gigabit cable (I am FAR below that speed). The wi-fi near the router goes at around 20 Mb/s, it's not much but I didn't expect to loose all of that speed through my Powerline... I hope some of you can help me figure out what's going wrong, if anything. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Speed problem: doesn't even reach 5 Mb/s-Solution
2020-10-31 16:11:39 - last edited 2020-11-02 09:21:48

@M_Larry 

Actual model numbers of the TP-Link products you are using would be helpful.  eg.  TL-PA4010, TL-WPA4220 V?

Try plugging a computer into the ethernet port of the wifi powerline adapter  (eg. 4220) and perform a speed test. 

If you see 20 mbps with ethernet in the speed test, then you have a wifi interference problem.  Try changing the channel number to 1, 6 or 11.   Use Wifi Analyzer if you have an Android phone to scan wifi.

If you see 5 mbps with ethernet, then there is a problem with the quality of your electrical ring mains wiring.  The adapters must be plugged into the wall sockets.  Move the wifi powerline adapter to the same room as the master powerline adapter, and repeat the speed test to confirm.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Speed problem: doesn't even reach 5 Mb/s-Solution
2020-10-31 16:11:39 - last edited 2020-11-02 09:21:48

@M_Larry 

Actual model numbers of the TP-Link products you are using would be helpful.  eg.  TL-PA4010, TL-WPA4220 V?

Try plugging a computer into the ethernet port of the wifi powerline adapter  (eg. 4220) and perform a speed test. 

If you see 20 mbps with ethernet in the speed test, then you have a wifi interference problem.  Try changing the channel number to 1, 6 or 11.   Use Wifi Analyzer if you have an Android phone to scan wifi.

If you see 5 mbps with ethernet, then there is a problem with the quality of your electrical ring mains wiring.  The adapters must be plugged into the wall sockets.  Move the wifi powerline adapter to the same room as the master powerline adapter, and repeat the speed test to confirm.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Speed problem: doesn't even reach 5 Mb/s
2020-11-01 17:32:58

@bob888 

Thanks for you advice, it really helped me a lot. I tried to connect a Windows pc thorough the ethernet port, that way it reached 10-11Mbps. So I unplugged it to compare it via wi-fi and it reached roughly the same speed. Apparently the actual problem here is the Android phone I used to test the wi-fi the first time, since it still can't reach 5Mbps. Anyways I also plugged in another pc (which happened to run a Linux distro) and tested the speed again. This is the fastest, reaching 14Mbps. At this point I can say that the Powerline adapter is working properly and there are no interferences (I used wi-fi analyzer, as you suggested), but I'm still quite impressed by how different those results are depending on the machine used. 

By the way, thank you, bob888

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1629

Replies: 2

Related Articles