Powerline Adaptor interfering with Telstra modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 21:56:09 - last edited 2020-11-02 08:17:20
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just added TL-PA9020P Powerline Network Adaptors to my home network.Now when I try to upload from the computer attached to the remote powerline adaptor (upload data across the powerline network) my modem loses its internet connection. The modem is a Telstra supplied FAST5355-A. In the modem's error log I get messages such as:

01.11.2020 08:02:22 Info XDSL

VDSL connectivity is down port 1

01.11.2020 08:02:22 Warning DHCPC

WAN DHCP client (1) stopped

Is there a way to prevent the disconnections? Which device is at fault?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Powerline Adaptor interfering with Telstra modem-Solution
2020-11-02 00:21:15 - last edited 2020-11-02 08:17:20

@bob888 thanks for the information. I did end up posting on the Telstra forum too and someone there explained that TP-LINK powerline adaptors have a setting for reducing interference with VDSL. In my case turning on this setting seems to have resolved the problem. Here is the crowd support answer with more information in case it helps someone else:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-gateway-losing-connection-with-powerline-network-adaptor/td-p/905354

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Powerline Adaptor interfering with Telstra modem
2020-11-01 05:30:15 - last edited 2020-11-01 05:30:45

@Bowie 

fwiw, it is a known issue when using powerline adapters alongside VDSL services.

They either coexist happily, or do not in your case.

Powerline signal transmitted on your AC ring mains is on same frequency range used by VDSL signals.  ie. The powerline signals are interfering with the VDSL signal.

Possibly your phone/DSL cabling into or within your property is installed too close to existing AC wiring.

Sadly, there is no quick fix.  Ask for advice on Telstra user support forum.

Otherwise, only suggestion is look at alternatives such as ethernet cabling or wireless solutions.

Options
Re:Powerline Adaptor interfering with Telstra modem-Solution
2020-11-02 00:21:15 - last edited 2020-11-02 08:17:20

@bob888 thanks for the information. I did end up posting on the Telstra forum too and someone there explained that TP-LINK powerline adaptors have a setting for reducing interference with VDSL. In my case turning on this setting seems to have resolved the problem. Here is the crowd support answer with more information in case it helps someone else:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-gateway-losing-connection-with-powerline-network-adaptor/td-p/905354

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 576

Replies: 2