Problems with Archer AX11000 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-03 20:31:18
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I bought this router 11 months ago. When I first set it up it was terrific. Now nearly a year later and 3 firmware updates later I am about to throw it out the window or return it for my money back (Costco). It has become slow and requires nearly daily restarts. It occasionally stops transmitting or drops sevices. These problems exist across every device in our house, phones, laptops, tablets, TV's, Alexa's, thermostats, etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. I have moved its location several times, confirmed consistent power and even installed an APC backup power system. We pay for 1Gbit service, have a Gigabit router and I have never seen speeds (wireless or wired) exceeding 650mbits/s. 
 I have rebooted hundreds of times, I have changed settings and turned "features" off and still no improvement in performance or reliability. 

Are others experiencing this change in service of the router? Is there a fix? I keep reading horror stories from other here that the TP-Link customer service line is terrible. Should I keep trying? Wait for a fix? Or take it back to Costco and take my money and buy something else. I'm really running out of patience and disappointed how the engineers screwed up a well working product with f/w updates. OR has something gone wrong with the device and I should exchange it?

Looking for input. Thanks. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Problems with Archer AX11000 router
2020-11-05 03:24:31

@UCrazyKid 

Hello, sorry to hear that you encountered a lot of issues with this AX11000 router and is still not resolved, we hope to help you out.

Can you confirm and ensure the QoS settings match the bandwidth provided by your ISP or you may simply disable it to give it a go:

Change its 2.4GHz channel to 1/6/11, channel width to 40MHz; Try different 5GHz channels, channel width to 80MHz or even 160MHz, save and reboot the router.

Options
2020-11-05 15:40:33

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you! Can you please explain to me what these setting changes will do so that I can understand what might work best. 
  A few more details. Our house is in the Midwest and built of brick and concrete in1968. We are not gamers and will prefer wall penetration and rage over absolute speed. 
  Update, I have reset the router to factory abut now with the most recent f/w update (which it already had) thinking perhaps something during each f/w update could have gone wrong. Additionally, I learned reading about others experiences, I cleaned out the router with compressed air and then purchased two 120mm usb cooling fans. I placed one underneath flowing up through the router and the other in the top pulling air up amd out of the router. After about 3-5 min all heat stopped coming out and only cool air seems to be flowing through the router. So far the network seems more stable, and quicker, although my speeds (Internet d/l and u/l have stayed at a max of 660mb/s (where it has been on its best days after a restart) and not near the 1Gb/s I am subscribed for. Looking to try you settings for channel and bandwidth once I understand what I am doing. 
 Perhaps I will add cooling to my modem too? A Netgear CM1000 Gigabit cable modem on Xfinity. 
Thank you again. 

Options
2020-11-06 01:45:17

@UCrazyKid 

Hello, thanks for getting back.

When the router was previously unstable, did it feel hot? Generally, the router consumes more power and produce more heat when there are too much high load or traffic, so it is suggested to put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air.

You can also try to set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to middle or low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps.

As for the QoS, we suggest you choose to set it manually based on the actual bandwidth provided by your ISP, as with QoS enabled automatically, it may limit the actual speed based on the downstream/upstream speed tested via the speedtest, which may be not precise.

As for the wireless channel, generally, the router will choose the clearest one based on checking with the surroundings, while there are still cases that it fails to do so, we need to choose one manually in order to get better performance then. As for the channel width, generally, the wider the faster.

I hope this makes sense, good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2033

Replies: 3

Related Articles