auto failover 4G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

auto failover 4G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
auto failover 4G
auto failover 4G
2020-11-05 21:19:08
Model: Archer MR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.9.0 0.9.1

Hello,

I want my mr400 automaticly switch in 4G connection when i loose my adsl connection. I choose the wireless router connection and 3G/4G backup but it's not working. When i disconnect my internet box from the line in order to simulate a line problem, i always still have correct connection in the tp-link interface so the backup don't switch. Please i need help what can i do ?

Options
9 Reply
Re:auto failover 4G
2020-11-06 01:22:01

@Rodolphe33 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Have you ever checked using the 3/4g router mode only to make sure the 3/4g connection is fine in case that it failed to use 3/4G backup because the backup connection is not able to provide internet?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-06 07:01:31
Hello yes if i manualy select the 4G/3G router mode it's perfectly work in 4G. I did not choose my internet profil for the wan connection it's appear automaticly, mybe this is the problem ?
Options
2020-11-09 05:41:07

@Rodolphe33 Hello I made many tests : The only way to get the backup 4G is to disconnect the electric cable of my box if I just loose the line connection my tp-link doesn't switch in 4G he think the WAN connection id good. I think i am going to resend this article but have you a tips ?

Options
2020-11-19 18:29:26 - last edited 2020-11-19 19:23:28

@Rodolphe33 

@Sunshine 

I have similar issue which I posted here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/237822?page=1

Options
2021-01-22 23:13:16

@Rodolphe33 

Same issue with my brand new MR200, latest firmware.

Firmware: 1.18.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 201127 Rel.59641n

Hardware: Archer MR200 v4 00000001

As with the OP I've established and proven a 4G connection with SIM, from a factory reset state. Per the instructions, connect ethernet to LAN4/WAN port, change mode to "wireless router" and engage "3G/4G backup".

DSL router (Sky) will be the main connection with MR200 as 4G backup.

With MR200 wired/configured as above it disappears from the ethernet network. I can only connect to it by reconfiguring the computer to connect to it via WiFi, which is useless as I want the MR200 to provide 4G-based internet to the whole of my home network if the DSL goes down.

As per the OP, causing a DSL line fail on the DSL modem achieves nothing regards the MR200.

Is there more setup required? For example, if the Sky (DSL) router remains the DHCP server (albeit with a failed DSL connection) and is the gateway at 192.168.0.1, how does the MR200 "take over" the gateway connection? MR200 DHCP setup is left at factory default per the instructions. I have tried setting a static IP that is removed from the DHCP pool issued by the Sky router but this does not help.

Connection to the MR200 configuration portal is at best a game of luck when switched into this AP+backup configuration. It is just too hard.

Why does this not work per the instructions?

Where is the support from TP-Link on this - there are many posts on this forum, like this one, with similar issues with this range of products. No answers. Why?

Options
2021-03-28 08:04:24
Hi, what kind of internet connection have you configured? A pppoe interface or a simple ethernet? If you have not configured a pppoe I think the problem is there, when you disconnect the data line cable from the wall the MR400 cannot notice it, it always hears the only protocol it has active (ethernet) correctly working. pppoe is a protocol that encapsulates the request for access to the ISP line in ethernet, which requires authentication with the username and password of your internet service provider. To do this configuration, your ISP's router / modem must be configured in bridge mode or pppoe relay. At that point during your test MR400 will feel the protocol drop and will try to use the 4g automatically. I have the same problem, I activated the pppoe relay on the router of the ISP and the MR600 seems to be trying to failover. Now I have 4g problem, but that's another problem .....
Options
2021-03-28 08:07:31
@ SatishSanjeev I answerd yesterday on your thread. Good luck
Options
2021-03-28 08:14:45
@Rodolphe33 this answer is for you, for clarity I copy it below. Hi, what kind of internet connection have you configured? A pppoe interface or a simple ethernet? If you have not configured a pppoe I think the problem is there, when you disconnect the data line cable from the wall the MR400 cannot notice it, it always hears the only protocol it has active (ethernet) correctly working. pppoe is a protocol that encapsulates the request for access to the ISP line in ethernet, which requires authentication with the username and password of your internet service provider. To do this configuration, your ISP's router / modem must be configured in bridge mode or pppoe relay. At that point during your test MR400 will feel the protocol drop and will try to use the 4g automatically. I have the same problem, I activated the pppoe relay on the router of the ISP and the MR600 seems to be trying to failover. Now I have 4g problem, but that's another problem .....
Options
2021-03-28 08:34:47
@ kgallen Hi, I think that for the configuration of automatic failover on 4g it may be useful what I have indicated to @Rodolphe33 and @SatishSanjeev I add: have you configured a suitable address in the LAN section? Example: 192.168.100.1/255.255.255.255 with DHCP enabled or not (whichever you choose). Your PC must be connected via LAN to the router on a LAN port other than the WAN used to connect to your ISP's modem / router. You will have an IP of 192.168.100.0/24, eg. the .101 and you will have as default gateway the .1. At that point you have to use that IP to connect to your router for management. I summarize the configuration that I could recommend you Internet -> connection from the wall socket to the DSL router / modem -> ethernet connection to the MR200 router ONLY. From MR200 connect ethernet or wifi to all your workstations. On the DSL router, configure bridge / pppoe relay mode. From here on it will be just a "cable" for you. On the MR200 you configure as an internet connection a pppoe with the credentials provided by your ISP and a LAN as indicated above, plus everything you did to activate the 4g backup. Good luck
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4205

Replies: 9

Related Articles