iOS with cloned SSID on Powerline extenders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-07 10:06:14
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If I clone the SSID across all my extenders do I have to switch off the Private Address setting on my iOS devices so it picks up the strongest signal?

Not sure if iOS just uses the SSID name to allocate the MAC address or whether it indentifies each of the individual WiFi signals from the extenders another way?

Options
1 Reply
Re:iOS with cloned SSID on Powerline extenders
2020-11-07 10:36:10

@JAS1972 Unfortunately, wifi exenders are not the best solution when picking the strongest signal is needed. If you use the same SSID, and you connect to your main wifi router, this connection will be held even if you walk over to the area where you have set up your wifi extender. Only if the signal drops from your main router, you will get then connected with your wifi extender. If you set up a different ssid, then you need to manually switch when you enter the stronger wifi extener signal area.

I had the same "solution" in my home, WPA4220 kit, cloned SSID and setting. That was not working well, since I was never out of reach of the main router wifi signal therefore not connected to the nearest WPA4220.

The most elegant solution for this problem is: a mesh system, you can thing of the mesh system taking care of all your wireless, and turn off the WiFi on the router plus on all WPA4220. Your wifi coverage will be extended and you can seamlessly roam with all your devices (walk around, no disconnects, same SSID). Plus in a mesh system your iPad or iOS device then will pick up the wifi from the strongest wifi device nearby. This is how a mesh system works. TP-Link sells many mesh systems that can fit your needs and they are affordable. Just check out their Deco mesh offierings.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 601

Replies: 1

Related Articles