Deco X60 mDNS support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X60 mDNS support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X60 mDNS support
Deco X60 mDNS support
2020-11-10 07:43:33
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Does Deco X60 support mDNS?

The thing is, I love my Deco M5 in every possible way except that it doesn't support mDNS (as confirmed here) and therefore doesn't work well with Apple HomeKit which seems to utilize it for communication/discovery of HomeKit accessories. 

The speed and coverage is great, the stability is insane, I've basically NEVER had to restart any of my three Decos. I get full throughput on my 1000/1000 Mbit/s internet connection.

However, since it doesn't support mDNS my Apple devices have to go through my Apple TV which is acting as a hub to perform HomeKit commands. This makes everything more sluggish. Opening the home app on my iPhone or iPad means several seconds for all lights and other HomeKit accessories to display their on/off status. Sometimes it times out and doesn't work at all. Giving voice commands through Siri is hit and miss. Sometimes works quickly sometimes doesn't work at all. On my previous router from another brand, opening the Home app was instant with every device presenting its status immediately. 

I'm now looking into Wifi 6 and I want to stay in the Deco line because of stability but if the X60 system still requires an Apple TV to function with HomeKit I'm gonna have to go elsewhere.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X60 mDNS support
2020-11-18 11:41:26 - last edited 2021-12-29 11:32:11

@Sperious 

Hi, Deco is ok to forward mDNS query in the LAN network.

So when Apple devices connect to Deco, they would still use Bonjour to communicate multicast traffic, such as AirPrint.

As for the delayed control of HomeKit devices via Home APP/Siri, we might need more details to locate the problem.

If possible, please disconnect the satellite Deco units and only leave the main Deco temporarily and check whether the delay would get much improved.

Thanks a lot!

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1563

Replies: 1

Related Articles