Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
128 Reply
Re:Update TP-Link USB Printer Controller for macOS Big Sur
2021-04-19 01:31:09

@EnricoBara 

Sorry, there is no such download center for the beta firmware. We generally provide this kind of beta firmware for the customers who report the issue, and we will then release an official version in the future to include the fix for those who owned the same model. We will soon have this controller utility on the official website, you may check it later.

Options
2021-04-19 01:33:03

@macuser1820 

Is the printer controller utility running automatically when the computer starts up? What if you disable the auto-run, will the 2015 boot up correctly? You may search online for this setting as this:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-stop-mac-apps-from-launching-at-startup#:~:text=The%20simplest%20way%20to%20disable,and%20disable%20it%20from%20opening.

Options
2021-04-28 09:21:19

Warning for others (I found out the hard way): there is a reason why this is still beta software. It may work for some folks, but not everyone. It may prevent your Mac from booting, and you will have to get your hands dirty to fix things.

Thanks for the update @Kevin_Z. Unfortunately, when I installed this on my iMac (2014 5K Retina iMac, Big Sur 11.2.3), the boot froze (I gave it more than five minutes from the point that the boot froze). I rebooted multiple times. I had authorised the kext in System Preferences. Ultimately, I had to delete the kext  from multiple locations using a terminal in Recovery mode in order to be able to boot my Mac successfully.

Options
2021-04-29 03:38:16

@CDB  Sorry to know that. When referring to "the kext", does it mean the printer controller utility? Is it running automatically when the computer starts up? What if you disable the auto-run, will the iMac boot up correctly? You may search online for this setting as this:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-stop-mac-apps-from-launching-at-startup#:~:text=The%20simplest%20way%20to%20disable,and%20disable%20it%20from%20opening.

Options
2021-04-29 08:03:18

Hi @Kevin_Z, "kext" refers to "kernel extension". The printer utility installs these and they are loaded as part of boot-up before anyone logs in. They have the file extension ".kext". Disabling loading applications when logging in happens too late to affect the loading of kernel extensions (the Mac hangs before getting to the point in the boot process where this would take place).

The printer controller utility can be loaded (manually or automatically) with the kernel extensions deleted. It just cannot do anything.

Options
2021-05-20 05:29:25 - last edited 2021-05-20 05:32:33

@anderscheow Hardware Version: V1 Firmware Version: 0.9.1 5.0 v0032.0 Build 170207 Rel.49213n Hi, I migrated to MacOs Big Sur but the tp link utility doesn't seem to work When I try to install It sends me the message to Allow the application on System Preferences --> Privacy but the app doesn't appear. So I don't know how to go further in the installation process.

Thank you

Options
2021-05-20 08:12:49

@jamessmith1234 

What is the model number of the router? You can find it on the device label.

When you download the printer controller utility and unzip it, can you find a guide in the folder, try to refer to the steps in it to reinstall the utility. You can also refer to the article below to give the permission to install it manually:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1042/

Options
2021-06-17 05:16:25

@Kevin_Z

I just bought Mac Big Sur version 11.3. which contains Apple M1 Chip. After having tried to install, I realize that the latest printer controller utility doesn't support this type. Could you provide us an updated printer controller utility?

Options
2021-08-20 16:47:32 - last edited 2021-08-21 18:35:06

@Kevin_Z 

Update: After updating macOS from Big Sur 11.5 to 11.5.2, the app has been functioning as expected without the errors mentioned below.  

After installing the beta for Big Sur, I am prompted to restart the computer.  Before restarting, I am able to print to my TP-Link connected printer. 

However, after restarting I am unable to print and I am prompted by the TP-Link app that the installation is incomplete and to install again.  After installing I am prompted to restart the computer, but before restarting, I am able to print to my TP-Link connected printer again. 

Yet, after restarting, I am prompted again by the TP-Link app that the installation is incomplete and to install again.  This continues over and over.

I have also attempted to install after disabling SIP in recovery but that does not work.

In addition, KCodes is using kextcache while installing which is now deprecated.

2021-08-19 13:49:11.588 Tool_install[970:10974] cp -Rf "/Volumes/TP-LINK USB Printer Controller Installer/TP-LINK USB Printer Controller Installer.app/Contents/Resources/Applications/TP-LINK" /Applications/TP-LINK

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID' in unprivileged request." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID' in unprivileged request.}

Authorization End

2021-08-19 13:49:18.394 Tool_install[970:10974] ln -sf "/Applications/TP-LINK/TP-LINK USB Printer Controller.app" "/Users/namegoeshere/Desktop/TP-LINK USB Printer Controller"

2021-08-19 13:49:18.394 Tool_install[970:10974] [kcTool] kextload /Library/Extensions/kudstplink.kext

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/kudstplink.kext

kextcache -update-volume /

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild

kextcache -system-cache

It looks like you're trying to update the system caches. As of macOS 11, the personality cache is no longer in use for keeping kext matching information up-to-date. For more information, see `man kmutil`.

2021-08-19 13:49:23.753 Tool_install[970:10974] FSPathMakeRef Error: -43

Kindly forward to KCodes for a resolution as this is not good for TP-Link.

Options
2021-08-23 12:01:48

@deocder 

So the update means you are on the macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 now, and there is no issue with the printing?

Options