Tl-wr240g wds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tl-wr240g wds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tl-wr240g wds
Tl-wr240g wds
2013-02-14 22:49:30
Region : Venezuela

Model : TL-WR340G

Hardware Version : V5

Firmware Version : 4

ISP :

Hello Everybody.

In our factory floor we have several test benches wired to a hub that report test data to a PC running MySQL.

In the recent times,mobility has become a must, since the test benches need to be moved all along the production line.

I purchased some TL-WR340GD and TL-WR340G Since they were readily available here and because of the WDS connection that I tought it would come handy.

I started with the TL-WR340GD, the one with the removable antena, this one was running firmware V3. I was able to configure the WDS in the old fashion way, setting the oposite mac address in each one, turning off DHCP in one of them etc.

When I tested the WR340G runn, I saw that the WDS system was fairly different. All I had to do was survey the networks and connect to the desired one.

Now I am not too sure this is the classic WDS, but it is working like a charm, and to my very own amaze I was able to link the TP-LINK devices to our main 3com access point, now here I have some doubts about its actual mode of work.

Here few questions and doubts that I have, i post them here hoping somebody can clear them to me:

1) is the WDS on V4 really a WDS? or it is something more like a wifi booster/extender?

2) What is the difference between v3 and v4 in the wds mode?

3) I understand the the TL-WR340GD is an old device, new devices with WDS use the survey system? or the classic mac address registering system?

4) what is the limit of units connected in v4? In v3 is clear, since the space for new mac address is 6, but on thenew ones is not specified, in the box it says 6, but the customer service of TP-LINK said only on (which of course is not true since I have connected three already), so which is the limit.

5) Can use your devices as a cable substitute to connect any test bench to a wifi network? I ask this because I have been abe to attach the TP-LINK routers to the factory access point without exchanging MAC addresses between them, just surveying. I know our 3com AP doesnt support WDS (hence I dont know if V4 are actual WDS) so I suppose they are working as other thing different than WDS. Its seems like TL-WR340G are working like wifi adapters. Is this true?, if so, can they connect to any existing network.

I hope I was clear, if not, I will try to explain further.

Best Regards.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Tl-wr240g wds
2013-02-14 22:51:42
I made a mistake in the post title... I mean to say TL-WR340G
Options
2013-04-02 13:55:49

Mino wrote

I started with the TL-WR340GD, the one with the removable antena, this one was running firmware V3. I was able to configure the WDS in the old fashion way, setting the oposite mac address in each one, turning off DHCP in one of them etc.

When I tested the WR340G runn, I saw that the WDS system was fairly different. All I had to do was survey the networks and connect to the desired one.

The WDS on TL-WR340G V4 is a bit different from the traditional way that you manually enter the opposite mac address on each unit. The survey system makes you connect to the main device automatically so that you don't need to enter the long mac address..This is really cool. what make it more attractive is that you just enable WDS on the WR340G and let it connect to the main device. This could be done on just one side.
It is wireless bridge on V3, which should be done in the old fashion way that you enable bridge on both sides to enter the opposite mac address.
As to the limit of units connected to WR340G, you mean the wireless clients?i think it is 8 at most. Too much clients connected to it could slow down the network or make the wifi unstable..
Sorry..the last question.. i didn't get it clearly..maybe a network topology is helpful.
Options
Thanks for sharing
2013-10-02 20:40:34
I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM.
Options
2014-10-06 13:37:48
Hi Mino,

I need a favor from you.
My old router : TP-LINK TL-WR340G
newly purchased : ASUS RT-N66U

I need step by step help regarding bridging wirelessly my new (ASUS RT-N66U) and old (TP-LINK TL-WR340G) router.
I want my newly purchased ASUS RT-N66U as my primary router connected with Internet. and old TP-LINK TL-WR340G router as a 2nd router to extend the wifi range.

So can you please let me know what are the configuration changes you have done for both the router's settings ?

Please reply as soon as possible
Options
2015-01-14 20:13:19
It's really frastrating that no-body replied from TP-Link administrator or any tech guy.
I am still having problem regarding this issue.
Options
PLS reply
2015-01-15 14:43:04
It's really frastrating that no-body replied from TP-Link administrator or any tech guy.
I am still having problem regarding this issue.
Options
2015-03-06 14:22:05
Hi deb_butan

ASUS RT-N66U is an 802.11n wireless router, while TL-WR340G is an old 802.11g router. They simply can't bridge up with each other. Buy a range extender or access point.
Options
no WDS option at all
2015-03-28 09:04:58
I have a :

WR340G v5 0815311C

4.7.7 Build 100825 Rel.65237n

and I do not get WDS option at all. Why? can someone help?
thanks
Options
2015-03-30 10:45:35
Very old model. When did you buy it? You should update your network equipment.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1023

Replies: 9