Adding 5Ghz WiFi capability to AV600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-15 10:51:07
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hi,

hoping that someone out there can help. I am trying to get a 5Ghz signal in my garage and a reliable Ethernet connection. 

Setup so far is as follows

4 bed semi with separate garage about 20m from router

sky broadband router and sky Q plus one mini

sky booster

wifi in house is split 2.4/5 with different SSIDs for casting reasons on VR setup 

I have used WPA4220 kit with additional plug to connect switches in living room (non WiFi), tv room (non WiFi) and garage (Non WiFi) Ethernet connection for Apple TV  Via old talktalk router with dhcp disabled to give 5Ghz WiFi with Apple TV connected through it

issue is that WiFi is not reliable in garage and nor is Ethernet connection for Apple TV. I have tried the AV600 with little success and wonder if there is a better way, like adding an AV1000 setup instead?

if I go this route, can I still use my existing base and get the WiFi/Ethernet element for the garage on its own, or do I need the whole kit and replace my base to set up the whole power line network again?

I thought about getting an re200 but I don't think the house 5Ghz signal is good enough to extend as far as the garage 

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help. 

Darren

Options
3 Reply
Re:Adding 5Ghz WiFi capability to AV600
2020-11-15 12:53:19

@DarrenCooksey 

If you are witnessing problems with ethernet devices that are direct wired to a powerline adapter in for example the garage, then you basically have a powerline issue. ie. poor quality electrical wiring and/or electrical interference on the ring mains.   All you can do is ensure the powerline adapters are plugged directly into a wall socket, and not an extension lead.  Perhaps move the adapter to a wall socket that has no other appliances plugged in may reduce noise.

I doubt changing the product will solve the problem.  If problems persist, consider laying external grade ethernet cable to the garage, and installing access points on the end of the cables. 

link to youtube video for CAT6 wall socket installation

I can't comment on TalkTalk modem routers being used as Access points, but I do know some ISP wifi hubs may 'misbehave' if they cannot find an active broadband connection through the DSL modem port.   TPlink sell dedicated access points (but with no spare ethernet sockets), and Archer C50 or C6 also offer access point mode if you want 5 GHz wifi.

If you plan to bury the cable, go for 'gel-filled' cable.

Powerline products are nice and convenient, when they work!   But not as reliable or best for speed as direct hard wired ethernet cabling.

Options
2020-11-24 11:44:02

@bob888 

hi Bob,

thanks for coming back to me. Adding a hard line is not really practical, but using your advice has helped me solve the problem. 

I moved the av600 to a socket next to the consumer unit in the garage and it stabilised everything. I set up a WiFi network using 2.4 GHz, which also seems to be a lot more stable - no drop outs so far!

I also had to run a new, longer Ethernet cable to where the tv and Apple TV is, and that, coupled with a decent HDMI cable has speeded up and stabilised the connection there too. 

Thanks again for your help and advice. 

cheers,

Darren

Options
2020-11-24 11:45:42
Forgot to add that with the stable working 2.4 Ghz connection, I was able to delete the old router as well! Cheers Darren
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4745

Replies: 3

Related Articles