Archer C2 showing inconsistent DHCP Client list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-15 12:24:05
Model: Archer C2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.2 v0032.0 Build 160706 Rel.37961n

I have a Tenda MW3 mesh with 4 nodes connected by cable to the router, and most of the devices in the house are connected to the mesh network. The Archer is providing addresses over DHCP to all the devices.

If I go into the DHCP->DHCP Clients List menu and press the "Refresh" button, the list shows different devices connected (e.g. an iPhone will appear, then if I press refresh it will not be on the list, and if I continue to Refresh it may re-appear). The list changes length from as few as 6 items to 12.

It is not only items that connect over wifi that are a problem, I have a 2 virgin wifi Tivo boxes that are able to connect to each other but sometimes show up on the list and sometimes do not.

Some connections show up on the DHCP List that are not on the "ARP List" and vice-versa. (The Tivo boxes never showed up on the ARP List)

Is there a bug in the DHCP listing process? Is this fixed in a later firmware?

thanks
Matt

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C2 showing inconsistent DHCP Client list
2020-11-16 07:59:54

@MattProctor 

Hello, thanks for reporting.

May I have a detailed network layout first? How about the devices directly connected to the C2 network, bypass the Tenda MW3 mesh or other network devices? Try to connect a computer or phone directly to the C2 network, via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi, confirm if they will permanently show up on the DHCP list as well as on the ARP list.

Options
2020-11-17 14:58:43

@Kevin_Z 

Sorry for delay in reply

Directly connected to the Archer C2:

* PS3

* netgear switch

* TPLink powerline adaptor (upstairs is a TP WPA4220)

* One node of the Tenda MW3 mesh

The netgear has:

* smart TV

* 2x virginmedia tivo 

* linux server

* NAS

* windows 10 PC

* old tenda router to support "b" for old wireless printer

Various devices (laptops, phones, tablets) connect through the mesh and the powerline wifi, but all configured to use Archer's DHCP. Some of the wired devices have static IPs.

So it's a mixture of wired and wireless, and obviously not all are on all the time.

Nevertheless it's a mystery to me why when I am streaming from tivo1 to tivo2 neither of them are showing in the DHCP client list, nor the ARP binding.

thanks
Matt

Options
2020-11-18 07:33:22

@MattProctor 

Hello, thanks for the details.

So both the tivo1 and tivo2 are using dynamic IP address which is assigned by the C2? What are they? You may check the IP address on the tivo1 and tivo2 directly, then confirm if you can find the corresponding IP address on the C2's DHCP list. If you can find them, that means there are actually showing up.

Options
2020-11-18 08:22:50

@Kevin_Z 

Yes I tried looking for that but they weren't in the list (despite the IP address being pingable, even when in standby). I have seen 1 tivo appear once when I was refreshing the list multiple times.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, I was just trying to show my daughter some stuff about network addresses and this came as a surprise!

Options
2020-11-19 09:55:22

@MattProctor 

I see. So are both tivo1 and tivo2 actually working on this network? If they are working fine, I guess this display issue may be related to the network sketch, as they are actually connected to the Netgear switch but not directly connected to the C2. BTW, what is the model number of the Netgear switch? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 769

Replies: 5