TP-Link Archer A6 WAN Connection Error Could not establish PPPoE connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-17 06:37:18 - last edited 2020-11-20 21:23:02
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 200630

Hello, just bought this router despite all the negative comments saying it keeps disconnecting. It was the best buy on Black Friday which also offered a VPN and a few other features. The other models I was looking at were Archer C6U but decided against it since found no real life or often use for the USB port and a Mercusys AC12G.

Anyway, getting home I followed all the steps to set it up exactly as the manual said and having worked with routers before. Router worked but then I set up the IPv6 connection according to the IPv4 protocol and started opening web pages with that error in the title "Wan connection Error, can not establish PPPoE connection" something like that.

I disabled IPv6 and it stopped opening those web pages, but the router kept on disconnecting. It showed in Tray as having internet all the time, but pages wouldn't load or give an error. In the Web Client of the router on the IP page, once every 10 seconds or so the IP, DNS etc would go 0.0.0.0, reset, get itself a new IP, then again 0.0.0.0 then reset again. The numbers were always different, at least for the IP. I have also cloned the MAC address in the options after searching for a solution online. That didn't work either. I don't know what else to do. Wired connection works fine, stable, no interruptions. I'm talking only about the wired connection, but wireless also goes off when that IP 0.0.0 thing happens.

I closed the PC last night, this morning while preparing for work, I noticed the LEG for internet would go Orange for a few seconds, then go Green for 30 seconds-1minute, then back Orange, etc. Basically mimicking the behavior I looked at in the Web client, the IP 0.0.0. to regular to 0.0.0 again. 

My cable is not cat 5e, but I wasn't using Gigabit anyway so how would that affect connection? It should at least work even if it's not Gigabit. I contacted my ISP and said they'll send a crew to do some tests and change the cable if necessary.

Please help!

Hardware is a Gigabyte H97-D3H with Intel Gigabit LAN chipset with the latest drivers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Archer A6 WAN Connection Error Could not establish PPPoE connection-Solution
2020-11-20 21:12:12 - last edited 2020-11-20 21:29:55
  • I live in Romania where internet is the fastest and cheapest. I get my internet through optical fiber that goes into an ONT that's placed outside my apartment and from there UTP cable goes into my apartment's router.
  • To update some things since I was busy with work. Yesterday my ISP's technicians arrived and after testing the network came to the conclusion that one of the RJ45 connectors on one end of the cable that goes from the router to my pc, was wired wrong, not respecting the cable pairs so that was the reason why I wasn't getting Gigabit speeds. My internet plan is the cheapest at 300mbps for 6 euro, yet I was getting max 10MBps in downloads or 100mbps in speedtests. Also cable was already cat 5 or above since it allows Gigabit speeds. However, they called me around 7pm and in that day I've already purchased a new router, the Archer C6U (the Archer A6 was bought 1 day before that). Everything worked smooth after that.
  • 15 minutes before writing this reply, I successfully enabled IPv6 with no errors, issues, etc. I wanted to do it before updating this thread to see if there was still a problem. Unfortunately, since I returned the Archer A6 yesterday, I can't confirm it was because of the router. Probably you or someone from TP-Link reading this can say if the IPv6 not working and interrupting itself like every 10-30 seconds going out of IP address in IPv4 as well showing as 0.0.0.0, would be a problem caused by the RJ45 connector that was improperly wired or the router itself (Archer A6) was opening those web pages giving the error "Wan connection error. Can not establish PPPoE connection"
  • So overall, everything's fixed. To be honest, the price difference was only 4 euros between Archer A6 (21 euros) and Archer C6U (25 euros). While I liked everything both had to offer in terms of hardware and software, I inclined towards the Archer A6 more because of the looks and because I thought I won't use the USB port on the Archer C6U anyway. Which I probably won't, but the next day I realized a dual core cpu like the one in the C6U would be a more long-term investment in this type of hardware and decided in favor of it, even though the looks aren't so appealing (all those indentations on the top look like the perfect place to catch dust and the hardest place to clean dust out from (so I left the router in it's protecting bag).
  • One strange thing was that when looking for a modem, I came up 3 models that checked my list. Mercusys AC12G, TP-Link Archer C6 and C6U. The strange part was when I saw one online store selling Archer A6 and quickly found out that this was the US version, one user even claiming it had 16mb of flash while the C6 being the EU versio only has 8mb. And it was 5 euros cheaper than the C6 so of course I bought it that same day. And I made a great deal, with literally the same router as the C6 only cheaper and more 'exclusive'. I'm sure the router is fine and the problem was likely coming from the cable, but after all I'm pleased with my purchase of the C6U coming from a Netgear N300 which I had for more than 10 years now.
  • PS: are people still using modems in 2020? It's surprising to me
  • Thank you @Ivaylo  and @Kevin_z for taking the time trying to help me fix the issue
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer A6 WAN Connection Error Could not establish PPPoE connection
2020-11-20 04:05:45

@xandru 

Hello, may I know who is your ISP? Is it a DSL modem or cable modem from your ISP? Please share the model number of it.

BTW, please send us the whole system log on the A6 via email, we will check further. We will email you, please check and confirm, thanks.

Options
Re:TP-Link Archer A6 WAN Connection Error Could not establish PPPoE connection-Solution
2020-11-20 21:12:12 - last edited 2020-11-20 21:29:55
  • I live in Romania where internet is the fastest and cheapest. I get my internet through optical fiber that goes into an ONT that's placed outside my apartment and from there UTP cable goes into my apartment's router.
  • To update some things since I was busy with work. Yesterday my ISP's technicians arrived and after testing the network came to the conclusion that one of the RJ45 connectors on one end of the cable that goes from the router to my pc, was wired wrong, not respecting the cable pairs so that was the reason why I wasn't getting Gigabit speeds. My internet plan is the cheapest at 300mbps for 6 euro, yet I was getting max 10MBps in downloads or 100mbps in speedtests. Also cable was already cat 5 or above since it allows Gigabit speeds. However, they called me around 7pm and in that day I've already purchased a new router, the Archer C6U (the Archer A6 was bought 1 day before that). Everything worked smooth after that.
  • 15 minutes before writing this reply, I successfully enabled IPv6 with no errors, issues, etc. I wanted to do it before updating this thread to see if there was still a problem. Unfortunately, since I returned the Archer A6 yesterday, I can't confirm it was because of the router. Probably you or someone from TP-Link reading this can say if the IPv6 not working and interrupting itself like every 10-30 seconds going out of IP address in IPv4 as well showing as 0.0.0.0, would be a problem caused by the RJ45 connector that was improperly wired or the router itself (Archer A6) was opening those web pages giving the error "Wan connection error. Can not establish PPPoE connection"
  • So overall, everything's fixed. To be honest, the price difference was only 4 euros between Archer A6 (21 euros) and Archer C6U (25 euros). While I liked everything both had to offer in terms of hardware and software, I inclined towards the Archer A6 more because of the looks and because I thought I won't use the USB port on the Archer C6U anyway. Which I probably won't, but the next day I realized a dual core cpu like the one in the C6U would be a more long-term investment in this type of hardware and decided in favor of it, even though the looks aren't so appealing (all those indentations on the top look like the perfect place to catch dust and the hardest place to clean dust out from (so I left the router in it's protecting bag).
  • One strange thing was that when looking for a modem, I came up 3 models that checked my list. Mercusys AC12G, TP-Link Archer C6 and C6U. The strange part was when I saw one online store selling Archer A6 and quickly found out that this was the US version, one user even claiming it had 16mb of flash while the C6 being the EU versio only has 8mb. And it was 5 euros cheaper than the C6 so of course I bought it that same day. And I made a great deal, with literally the same router as the C6 only cheaper and more 'exclusive'. I'm sure the router is fine and the problem was likely coming from the cable, but after all I'm pleased with my purchase of the C6U coming from a Netgear N300 which I had for more than 10 years now.
  • PS: are people still using modems in 2020? It's surprising to me
  • Thank you @Ivaylo  and @Kevin_z for taking the time trying to help me fix the issue
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-23 09:21:18

@xandru 

Hi, thanks a lot for your detailed issue description and troubleshooting you have taken, this would be helpful for others. It's glad to hear that the internet finally works properly in your house, congrats.^_^

If need any further help, just let us know.

Good day~

Options
2020-11-24 20:11:59

@xandru 

@Kevin_Z

I am facing  WAN disconnection issue

[0] wan port link down

Model: Archer A6
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.7 Build 20201010 rel.49458(5553)
Hi,

I recently bought TP Link Archer A6 online and started facing as an Internet connection keeps on dropping.

I checked the system Logs and found below messages occur periodically in the span of 1-2 hrs or sometimes lesser.

[0] wan port link down

[0] wan port link up with speed 1000M

I was using Tp link TL-WR840 N and never had any issues.

The reason I purchased a new router as my Internet speed is 250 Mbps and old router did not have gigbyet port.

When contacted TP link support did all the troubleshooting including factory reset and firmware upgrade.

Finally, I have been advised to replace the router.

I requested a replacement and received the same in 4-5 days. Meanwhile, I connected old TL-WR840 N router and the internet worked just fine.

However, the moment in connected Brand new Archer 16 which i received as a replacement I started facing the same issue again.

once again contacted support and wilth advise setup primary and Secondary DNs to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively. MTU size : 1458

Still facing the same issue. Not sure what to do as fed up. Never thought of such issues before purchasing a new router. 

I would appreciate if some can help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1254

Replies: 4