How to restrict access to Virtual Server to trusted internet hosts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-06 02:44:29 - last edited 2020-12-08 23:58:22
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200511 Rel.44954n

Hi.

Using an MR600 device as a wireless router, I've been able to use a virtual server to access a service inside my LAN from the external internet.

However, I do not want public access i.e. I would like to restrict access to the particular open port to a few trusted external hosts.

I've read the manual several times and have many years experience configuring networks but I cannot see anywhere where I can add particular rules which restrict access to particular external hosts. For example, the Advanced / Security / Firewall setting is "on" but there's no provision for adding additional rules. Every router I've used for many yearts has allowed external access to be restricted to specific hosts.

Would you be so kind as to explain how I can restrict access to a virtual server to specific external hosts?

Thanks. SuzyG.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to restrict access to Virtual Server to trusted internet hosts-Solution
2020-12-06 12:58:12 - last edited 2020-12-08 23:58:22
Unfortunately the home series devices do not support such level of granularity in Virtual Servers and Firewall settings.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to restrict access to Virtual Server to trusted internet hosts-Solution
2020-12-06 12:58:12 - last edited 2020-12-08 23:58:22
Unfortunately the home series devices do not support such level of granularity in Virtual Servers and Firewall settings.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to restrict access to Virtual Server to trusted internet hosts
2020-12-08 23:58:13

@Ivaylo Many thanks for your clear reply.

I'm very disappointed TpLink don't provide access to setting such simple firewall rules when every domestic router I've ever used has provided this. I'm going to have to look for a new router. That is unfortunate as I was quite happy with the MR600 otherwise.

Options
Re:How to restrict access to Virtual Server to trusted internet hosts
2020-12-09 00:44:58 - last edited 2020-12-09 10:16:08

The other scenario you can have is a dedicated firewall device before your router (for ex. pfSense, Sophos XG FW/UTM) which would provide you the level of granularity you want. That way your router (e.g. MR600) would be used for basic tasks like Wi-Fi extension of your local network and some basic services like DDNS, DHCP, Bandwidth control, Parental control, IP & MAC binding, etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 3