Nightmare trying to connect Archer router to TalkTalk ISP "SuperFibre"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-01 12:16:13 - last edited 2021-01-02 13:36:15
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have just tried to set up a new Tplink Archer C4000, and unable to set up ethernet. Using Tether app on phone, I managed to rename & give pws to the WiFi, but can get no further. My ISP is TalkTalk via an Openreach Mk3 wall adapter for fibre. I also have an Archer VR2800 which used to work well, but I had to revert to TT’s Huawei HG 635 (Super router) when I was in a dispute with TT over delivered line speeds. Recently tried to use the old VR2800, but was unable to access internet at all, and because I am in process of installing Cat6a cables on all floors of house alongside TP’s mesh network, I bought the Archer C4000. It is a nightmare to configure with TT as ISP (& I suspect same reason is now preventing the old VR2800 from connecting).

I have read (& tried the options suggested) in 101 googled pages re connecting TalkTalk fibre 65/10 to TPlink routers, including a few on this forum, but I am getting nowhere: simple, clear (jargon free) advice would be hugely appreciated 😉.

On the PC, I am unable to connect to tplinkwifi.net / 192.168.0.1 . Using the TPlink Tether app, I have renamed & entered new pw for the 3 WiFi, but cannot get the phone to connect to C4000 bluetooth and configure as advised.

All help gratefully received (and they said 2021 couldn’t be worse than 2020 – they haven’t tried TalkTalkcheeky)

With many thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Nightmare trying to connect Archer router to TalkTalk ISP "SuperFibre"-Solution
2021-01-01 15:20:20 - last edited 2021-01-02 13:36:15

@staffy2010 

Is you Huawei HG 635 set to router mode or (modem) bridge mode?

If you are not sure, then connect a computer via Ethernet cable to one of the four "Ethernet" ports of the Huawei HG 635. Do you get Internet on that computer after just plugging in the cable?

If yes, then connect your phone to the WiFi of the C4000, open the Tether App on you phone and tap the entry for your C4000 router, tap on the "Tools" icon on the lower right, tap on "Internet Connection", then tap on "Connection Type" and set to "Dynamic IP" if it isn't already. Then connect the "Internet" port of the C4000 router via Ethernet cable to one of the four "Ethernet" ports of the Huawei HG 635. Now check if the phone that is connected to the WiFi of the C4000 can access the Internet. If it can, then you should be good to go. If not, then you will need to troubleshoot further.

By the way, I had a quick look at the specifications page for the Archer C4000, but I couldn't find any reference to a "Bluetooth" function.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Nightmare trying to connect Archer router to TalkTalk ISP "SuperFibre"-Solution
2021-01-01 15:20:20 - last edited 2021-01-02 13:36:15

@staffy2010 

Is you Huawei HG 635 set to router mode or (modem) bridge mode?

If you are not sure, then connect a computer via Ethernet cable to one of the four "Ethernet" ports of the Huawei HG 635. Do you get Internet on that computer after just plugging in the cable?

If yes, then connect your phone to the WiFi of the C4000, open the Tether App on you phone and tap the entry for your C4000 router, tap on the "Tools" icon on the lower right, tap on "Internet Connection", then tap on "Connection Type" and set to "Dynamic IP" if it isn't already. Then connect the "Internet" port of the C4000 router via Ethernet cable to one of the four "Ethernet" ports of the Huawei HG 635. Now check if the phone that is connected to the WiFi of the C4000 can access the Internet. If it can, then you should be good to go. If not, then you will need to troubleshoot further.

By the way, I had a quick look at the specifications page for the Archer C4000, but I couldn't find any reference to a "Bluetooth" function.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Nightmare trying to connect Archer router to TalkTalk ISP "SuperFibre"
2021-01-01 16:18:11
Thanks woozle - i will try your suggestions. Re bluetooth - on the phone app it requests that bt is switched on, & it then scans for router bt (but obviously without success if router lacks bt ;-) ). Will keep you posted ...
Options
Re:Nightmare trying to connect Archer router to TalkTalk ISP "SuperFibre"
2021-01-02 13:39:36
Woozle - hi - many thanks - the archer router is now working as planned, & I am now about to set up 3 deco routers (fingers crossed). So all I need now is some decent Gb speeds from TalkTalk (sometime next century ;-) ). Your time & help is much appreciated. cheers
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1857

Replies: 3

Related Articles