AX 1500 Wi-Fi 6 router - Trouble setting up IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-02 01:10:19
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20201203 Rel. 36965(5553)

Hi everyone,

I recently got an AX 1500 Wi-Fi 6 router and just discovered that IPv6 is not setup automatically on it. To cut an extremely long, and very frustrating, story short, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it to work. I've tried using PPPoE, Dynamic IP, and Static IP. Dynamic IP and PPPoE don't work, and I can't finish setting up Static IP because I have no idea what my default gateway is because everything I enter results in an "invalid format" (which is such a useless response).

I have my IPv6 address, prefix, and primary and secondary DNS's, but like I already said I've got no idea what my default gateway is since everything I enter results in an "invalid format". The modem I have (Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2) from my ISP (Telstra) has both PPPoE and DHCP.

I don't know what I'm missing here or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
 - TSR

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX 1500 Wi-Fi 6 router - Trouble setting up IPv6
2021-01-04 02:05:29

@TheSirRolfe 

Sorry to hear that you got trouble to set up the IPv6 on the AX1500, please kindly refer to this guide again to double-check the settings on the router:
How to set up an IPv6 Internet connection on the Wi-Fi Routers

If the connection still fails, please ensure you have activated the IPv6 service with Telstra and all the IPv6 parameters are correct, then verify the information as below:
1. What is your network topology, is it Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2--AX1500?
2. Is the IPv4 connection on the AX1500 good or not? What is the WAN IP address of it?
3. Is the IPv6 connection type the same as IPv4? What is it? This should be provided by Telstra, we cannot just test with all the types on the router.

Options
2021-01-04 06:15:01 - last edited 2021-01-04 06:22:01

@Kevin_Z I've attempted to follow that guide several times now but it's honestly way too vague.
The IPv6 connection is activated on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and is working correctly as far as I can tell.

1. I assume by network topology you're asking what is connected to what? If that's the case, the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 is acting as a dedicated modem, so the AX 1500 router is plugged into that.

2. According to https://ipv6-test.com/ my IPv4 connection is working. For the WAN address is it okay if I send that to you over something like email? I don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

3. For the IPv4 and IPv6 connection types, I'm not really sure. When I go onto the broadband tab on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 in Basic View, it says Connection Type: IPoE. Under that is says PPPoE settings, and then a thing to login to a PPPoE account. However when I go to the Local Network tab on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 in Advanced View, there is an option for DHCP settings.

Options
2021-01-05 03:00:26

@TheSirRolfe 

Sure, we can discuss this via email, please check and respond.

Options