max speed trouble

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

max speed trouble

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
max speed trouble
max speed trouble
2021-01-04 14:16:32 - last edited 2021-01-06 12:54:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Some time ago my internet provider informed me that they would bump my internet from 150/30 mbit to 300/60mbit..
Checked thru the deco speed test, and everything showed up as it should(a bit more actually) around 320/59 mbit.

However i couldn't feel any difference on my PC which is plugged into a node thru Ethernet and said node is also plugged in thru Ethernet, so it should get full speed.
Then when i checked my speed on the pc thru several other speed tests it only showed 145/25.

I contacted my internet provider but naturally they just informed me that i received the correct speed from their end(as the Deco speed test already showed my), so they couldn't help me.

Everything has been updated at restarted several times in the last couple of months since the speed upgrade, and i still don't receive the full 300/60 mbit.

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:max speed trouble-Solution
2021-01-06 12:54:12 - last edited 2021-01-06 12:54:34

Hey @Philbert,

Thanks for your reply!

I continued my troubleshooting(read - Desperate search) after my post and found out that there was a "limiter" under the QoS which was set to my old speed for some reason. Tried changing it to something above my speed and now it runs 332/68 Mbits on the wired units, and even my iPhone(on wifi) had a 290/60 connection throughout the house.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:max speed trouble
2021-01-04 16:11:43

@MacPhly 

Hey

My thoughts are as you are connected via LAN to one of the DECO nodes, the backhaul to the main node where the ISP router is attached is over the WiFi mesh, likely the 5ghz channel.   Depending on the distance and connection of the DECO nodes this may be the section that is slowing your connection, I would near guarantee it.

If possible connect a laptop via LAN to the main node deco and test again using the cable, likely will be a full speed.    or take a mobile device and ensure its connected to the main deco wifi, test using speedtest.net...  go to the 2nd node, reconnect wifi and retest   -   Likely find this drops on the 2nd node

Mesh topology is handy,  but it does suffer the problem of WiFi interconnecting and therefore speeds will be an issue as you get faster.   From experience 300mbps would be the absolute max that a 2x2 AC backhall could support in a good scenario, add a few more nodes and device this will drop massively.  I believe this is your problem.

Honestly, for 300 down WAN connection you should be considering either a cable connection or worst case a WiFi6 mesh (the X range), it may be you are pushing the m5 mesh to its max.

Options
Re:max speed trouble-Solution
2021-01-06 12:54:12 - last edited 2021-01-06 12:54:34

Hey @Philbert,

Thanks for your reply!

I continued my troubleshooting(read - Desperate search) after my post and found out that there was a "limiter" under the QoS which was set to my old speed for some reason. Tried changing it to something above my speed and now it runs 332/68 Mbits on the wired units, and even my iPhone(on wifi) had a 290/60 connection throughout the house.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:max speed trouble
2021-01-06 13:08:54

@MacPhly 

Ah the old strange hidden settings!  Been there scratching my head so many times!

Glad you got sorted in the end smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 413

Replies: 3

Related Articles