Archer AX50 freezes sporadically

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-06 10:32:55
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037

My brand new Archer AX50 (EU) occasionally freezes and it looks like this: the internet light goes amber, wifi drops all devices and although it is still visible nothing can connect to it and no ping is possible to the router even with wired connection and DHCP doesn't work. Router is not overheated at least not to my feeling and I have a cooling pad beneath anyway and along that it just drops regarrdless of the traffic. Last time it was during the night when no devices were active. I have disabled IPS function just in case and lowered RTS threshold to 500 for both 2.4 and 5G bands as seen in one post here but no luck. This is happening almost on a daily basis which is unacceptable since I have many devices including TV sets connected to it about 5-7 at a time in total. Any ideas what is wrong with it?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 freezes sporadically
2021-01-06 10:55:23

@Tamnais 

it could be a faulty power adapter, you could try though to relocate or plug the AX50 power adapter to a different power outlet to make sure that its not an overloaded outlet.

other than that, if you can find a power adapter that matches the power adapter of the AX50 to try it with.

i hope this helps.

Options
2021-01-06 13:29:28
Thanks, I thought also on that but it's brand new one so I can't imagine TP-link would provide me with faulty adapter still I'll take a look for spare one.
Options
2021-01-07 08:58:44

Anyone from TP-link staff? These routers used to be reliable now I'm facing issues on a daily basis and I see from other posts different models are also facing similar issues so is TP-link now manufacturing faulty products by design? I can't remember if I ever rebooted my previous router...

Options
2021-01-08 03:38:49 - last edited 2021-01-08 03:42:17

Thanks, @CHIBOMAN goo point, we do receive a customer mentioned this, and it seems there is some interference on that specific power outlet, the issue was gone once he changed the outlet.

@Tamnais  Please try CHIBOMAN' suggestions then monitor.

If change the power outlet of the adapter helps nothing, please confirm the below:

Hi, have you tried to reset the AX50 to factory defaults by holding the reset button on it until all LEDs flash off then on, then reconfigure it from scratch, leave all the advanced settings by default? If not yet, give it a try.

BTW, when and where did you purchase it? Was it working fine before?

How many devices are connected to the AX50, wired and wirelessly?

As per your description, it seems that you are unable to login to the web interface of the AX50 when it freezes, am I right? Are the devices connected to it via wireless or with a cable can still get a valid IP address from it? What if you change the Address Lease Time to 2880 on Network>>DHCP Server page?

Options
2021-01-08 11:34:15

@Kevin_Z Thanks for your reply. Power adapter is stock so if it might be faulty where can I get new one that works with this router? Regarding power outlet in have APC power distribution panel with surge protection so I guess this should be okay? I didn't reset to defaults as I have only configured WAN, Wifi and DHCP but I did enable at some point IPS module (intrusion prevention) turned off now so I guess I'll try with factory reset during weekend. I have purchased it on Amazon Germany so it is EU model. It was working just fine for few weeks then this issue started however I am not sure if after enabling IPS or not. Devices are 2x Windows 10 Pro with latest updates on PC and laptop however on PC I have a PCI wifi card with bluetooth (WLAN Dual Band 2400Mbps PCI Express Wifi 6 Intel AX200 Card BT 5.0) with latest drivers 22.10.0.7 which is why I have bought AX router anyways. Laptop has integrated wifi (Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260) with driver version 20.70.18.2. Other devices are mobile phone with Android 8, tab with Android 9, iPhone 11 with iOS 14.2 and two TV sets both from Samsung with Tizen but they connect to wifi only when watching Netflix or Prime. Most active devices are laptop and PC so Windows 10 while there is no wired device connected. And no I cannot access router web interface nor do I get IP address from DHCP when it freezes and also cannot ping router even when configured with static IP and connected to wired port. Router just dies and reboot is needed. Today I found it hung again in the morning and again shortly afterwards like 30 minutes or so. Now it's been stable for 3 hours already but not sure for how long.

Options
2021-01-08 13:01:46
FYI frozen again after 5 hours so the problem is getting worse
Options
2021-01-11 02:38:21

@Tamnais 

Hello, have you tried to reset it to factory defaults by leaving all the advanced parameters on the AX50 by default?

BTW, please try different power outlets as suggested previously. You can also try to lower down the Transmit Power on the AX50 if it is currently set to High.

Are there any USB or HDD plugged into the AX50 USB port? If there is, please unplug it from the router, then reboot the AX50 to confirm.

Options
2021-03-02 10:33:59

@Kevin_Z Thanks but I was already in touch with TP-link support and after some time they determined it is most likely defective so I am trying now to get a refund from amazon. Thanks all for help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1462

Replies: 8

Related Articles