Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-07 14:18:47

I just set up my Deco M5 system in my house which is around 160 square meters and only has 1 floor. My main deco unit is at the far end of the house and the other two are placed in a straight line from the first throughout the house, so the last unit is at the opposite far end of the house from the main unit. 

However, I am experiencing some weird speed problems. I am currently working from my garage, which is approximately 3 meters away from my third and last Deco unit, and when my laptop is connected to that unit my download speed is no more than 30-40mbps, while my iphone shows 900 mbps (i have fiber internet of 1000 mbps) when testing through the Deco app.

Is this a common problem? I wouldn't expect a distance from one the Deco units of 3 meters to impact download speed that much? The signal goes through a brickwall on the outside of the house, but still....

I am a brand new Deco user, so dont have any experiece with settings etc. so please, any help is appreciated 

Thanks

Mikkel

Options
22 Reply
Re:Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?
2021-01-07 15:56:54

@MikkelDK 

Hey

Can I ask how you are testing this download rate?   Is this the result of a speedtest or just the connected speed on the devices?

At first guess it could be your IPhone is connected at 5Ghz and your laptop on 2.4Ghz.   This would explain the vast difference, what is your laptop WiFi Card and can you post a picture of the speed you are seeing?

Options
2021-01-07 16:38:04

@Philbert Hello, the laptop speed is tested on a random speed testing website....so not sure it can be compared to the test in the Deco app, as this may test the download to one of the units and not the actual device where i run the app from...?

My laptop has an Intel wifi 6 AX201 160 mhz card

Below is a picture of the speed test, and this one is run from inside the house, so the speed should be even higher than when i run it from the garage, 50mbps is VERy low when i have 1000mbps fiber internet. Any idea why this could be?

Options
2021-01-07 18:25:33

@MikkelDK 

Hey again

The first thing that jumps at me is your up speed is 80mbps and higher than your down, this should deffinately not be the case.   As its only happening on this one device I would look to ensure that you havent set any QOS or limits on that device, also try changing the setting in the wifi card driver..

This appears to be throttling in some way, perhaps QOS or speed limts accidentally enabled?

Options
2021-01-07 18:30:06

@Philbert i havent done anyrhing on that device, its a work laptop so i need admin rights to do any changes. How exactly do i change the Qos settings on my wifi card? Alit if the guidws in here suggests doing that in the deco app, will that hve same effect?

Options
2021-01-07 18:36:31

@MikkelDK 

It could be set at either the Device or Deco.. if you have no access to the device driver then the Deco app is your likely option.  Just check nothing QOS or rate limiting has been enabled.  

Only mention this as another post on Tuesday had the same issue and it was something like that enabled on the Deco.. ill see if i can find the post

Options
2021-01-07 18:38:34

@Philbert ok that would be great, i found a general guide that mentions this as one of the steps. Also, should i try changing to access point instead of router and maybe also disable 2.4ghz? Im not smart enough what any of these things do :)

Options
2021-01-08 02:30:29

@MikkelDK

Ok, to be clear here:  As you suspected, the speed test in the Deco app runs from the Master Deco , not from the Phone.  

This implies that the slowdown is occurring in the relay process between the chain of Decos.  

You can confirm this on a couple of ways - try the laptop near to (or ideally plugged in to) the Master Deco. If it’s the relaying then it should be faster there.  Check in the Deco app that it is really connected to the master when you do this.  

Also, try the speed test page or a speed test app from the iPhone.  It should give you results similar to the laptop.   

If if it does seem to be relaying then you can try a few things to improve matters.  You need to optimise signal strength. You can run the “network Optimization” process in the app to select less congested channels. You can reposition the Decos. And you can cable the Decos if nothing else works.

Options
2021-01-08 09:18:28

@ajharvey I tried optimising the network with no major improvements. Im not able to use cable for the units, that was the whole reason for me to invest mesh, that i need wide wifi coverage, but the speed is very disappointing. The only thing i have left to try out is to change to access point instead of router, but im not sure that will make a significant improvement...?

Options
2021-01-08 09:36:36 - last edited 2021-01-08 09:44:05

@MikkelDK 

Were you able to confirm that it was the relaying process that is the culprit by the method I suggested?  Until you’ve eliminated  other variables it could still be something wrong with the laptop, or something with the Master Deco, or even, at the outside, something wrong with the speed measurements...

On on your other point, Access Point mode requires something else act as router and is used when you have another device that you would rather have provide those functions (Routing, parental controls, DHCP, firewall, etc). Leaving the Deco to just provide the wifi.  If you want to test it out you will need another device to act as router, and it’s probably only worth trying if the speed loss seems to be at the Master Deco (Which performs the routing and other functions). 

Options
2021-01-08 09:39:39

@ajharvey Hello, yes its the relaying, I also noticed this when testing purely by wifi, as the download speed drops by every step i move away from one of the units. Any other suggestions on what to do?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2259

Replies: 22

Related Articles