Internet drops after few minutes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-13 12:01:41
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 170210 Rel.42078n

Hi,

I have the TP link wifi router - 300M Wireless N Router, Model No. TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND.

As soon as I connect the router using WIFI it works fine for 15-20 mins but then it fails after some time. I have to restart the router every time this happens because no device can connect to it anymore.

I upgraded the firmware as well but that doesnt solve the issue. Any help to fix this problem is deeply appreciated.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Internet drops after few minutes
2021-01-14 06:09:39

@dibya 

Sorry to hear that you are encountering an issue with the internet connection on the router, we will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it. 

1. May I know who is your ISP? Please ensure the modem is always stable first.

2. What is the light status of the TL-WR841N when the connection drops out? Can you get internet from it via wired cable at that time? Please connect your device to the modem directly to do a comparison test as well.

3. Please login to the web UI of the TL-WR841N and take a full screenshot of the Status page when there is no internet on it, and go to Advanced-System Tools-System Log to save and export it to us. 

Besides, please follow the instruction below to do some test and tell me which case you belong to:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2237/ 

Options
2021-01-15 17:49:28

@Kevin_Z 

1. My ISP is Vodafone. I have a LAN connection to my computer as well with other devices connecting over WIFI.

2. When the Router stops working here is the LEDs - The power LED is on, the System LED is OFF, the wifi LED blinks continuously, the WAN LED is constantly glowing, the LAN(3) is continuously ON. During this state I have both LAN and Wifi not working at all. The Wifi SSID shows up but no device can connect to it.

It seems that it is not able to take the load of multiple devices streaming high volume of the data at the same time.

I tried replicating the problem by streaming videos on Youtube on 2 computers, 1 phone and a tablet and seems like after 15 mins it 

I cannot even login to the router page - tplinklogin.net/. After reboot i try to access logs and it only shows the logs from this boot.

Options
2021-01-21 08:23:54

@dibya 

When and where did you purchase this? We may have no more suggestions for the issue, you can contact the local tech support to check if they can help you with this:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2021-01-21 09:39:09

@Kevin_Z 

This is an old router (~5 years old). I had bought it from eBay but rarely used it since then. Started using it since the last few weeks.

Strangely now the LAN has stopped working and no lights from 1-5 glows

Options
2021-01-21 10:21:11

@dibya 

It might be faulty, sorry about that. It's time to buy a new one.

Options
2021-01-21 10:25:34

@Kevin_Z 

My bad. The LAN works again. So the problem is still the wifi and the router freezing up with high data transmission.

I am giving a last shot -

Is there some firmware upgrade that i am missing. Can you tell me what is the latest firmware version that is for this router?

Current firmware -

Hardware Version: V8

Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 170210 Rel.42078n

Options
2021-01-22 02:04:58

@dibya 

It is already the latest version, as it's quite an old version, we have no more newer versions for it, sorry about that.

Options