Archer AX50 IP & MAC Binding doesn't appear to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-15 20:37:42
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

I've assigned a device using IP & MAC Binding, but the IP doesn't change even after reboot of the device and router, so it's not overriding the DCHP server.  I assume changing the IP via Address reservation does work, but they don't work together, so it doesn't look like you can reserve an a IP address and bind to a MAC address, unless I'm doing something wrong.  You can of course do this on ASUS and other big name routers. Any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 IP & MAC Binding doesn't appear to work
2021-01-16 03:50:36

@Peter170 

For me it works if I do it like this:

- First go to the "DHCP Server" settings of the AX50 and add an entry for the client device in question with the desired IP address to the "Address Reservation" list.

- Reboot the router (or wait up to 2 hours until the Lease Time for the IP address has expired). Now the client device should have been assigned the IP address you've defined in the previous step.

- Now go to the "IP & MAC Binding" settings and in the "ARP List" look for the respective client device. It should show up as "Unbound" at this point. To the right of the word "Unbound" you see a pictogram that looks like a chain and has a greenish color. Click on that chain icon and thereafter the status for that entry should change to "Bound".

Now, if any client device that has a different MAC address is trying to connect to the network using the IP address that has been reserved like above, then it is blocked from accessing the network.

Options
Re:Archer AX50 IP & MAC Binding doesn't appear to work
2021-01-16 17:38:08

@woozle 

Thanks, I've tried and got this to work, although the process could be simpler.  I also note that items inserted in the binding list don't have the device name which is annoying.  Also if you try and edit that list, adding the device name it fails, giving an error saying that the IP/entry already exists. I find the code to manage these features to be pretty poor. The designers/coders don't really Understand ease of usability.  As a ex programmer I'd never make it so hard to use.

Thanks for all the other replies.

woozle wrote

@Peter170 

For me it works if I do it like this:

- First go to the "DHCP Server" settings of the AX50 and add an entry for the client device in question with the desired IP address to the "Address Reservation" list.

- Reboot the router (or wait up to 2 hours until the Lease Time for the IP address has expired). Now the client device should have been assigned the IP address you've defined in the previous step.

- Now go to the "IP & MAC Binding" settings and in the "ARP List" look for the respective client device. It should show up as "Unbound" at this point. To the right of the word "Unbound" you see a pictogram that looks like a chain and has a greenish color. Click on that chain icon and thereafter the status for that entry should change to "Bound".

Now, if any client device that has a different MAC address is trying to connect to the network using the IP address that has been reserved like above, then it is blocked from accessing the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 988

Replies: 2