WPA Authentication Timeout/Failures

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-16 09:11:33 - last edited 2021-01-19 08:57:24
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.3 Build 20201119 Rel.63433

Hi,

I recently have bought an OC200 and a EAP225-Outdoor v1 to extend my wireless network. I already had an EAP245v3.

After setting up the Omada SDN controller software 2.4.8 and adopting the EAPs (with latest firmware), the system runs quite stable.

However I notice a lot of WPA Authentication Timeout/Failures on both EAPs...equally divided now.

the other thing I notice that once and a while I receive a notification that the OC200 is online again.

when I look at the online time of OC200 and both EAPs, they are 15 days online...

This night I also got an OC200 online again notification and the WPA Authentication Timeout/Failure errors on the EAP245 were increased by approx. a 100.

Where do these WPA Authentication Timeout/Failure errors and OC200 online notifications come from and are they related to eachother?

Additional info:

My gateway is a mini pc with pfSense software and and 3 switches, which are no Omada products

I run both Omada cloud and Local

Options
8 Reply
Re:WPA Authentication Timeout/Failures
2021-01-19 08:56:27 - last edited 2021-01-19 08:57:24

Dear @Anjerlaan,

Where do these WPA Authentication Timeout/Failure errors and OC200 online notifications come from and are they related to eachother?

Do you find any wireless clients disconnect from the EAP when it shows WPA Authentication Timeout/Failure? 

Please go to Insight -> Pass connection to check if there is association failure showing there.

As for the OC200 online notification, I don't think it is related to WPA authentication, you may confirm whether the OC200 is still properly connected to the network when the notification comes. Besides, power up the OC200 via a PoE switch instead of via the USB port to ensure sufficient power.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-02-08 19:14:01

@Fae 

Most of the failures happen on the EAP225-Outdoor

I have 2 Wifi (older) Lamps, which not always respond since my new Omada setup .

After approx. 2 re-tries they finally respond. (I have them now replaced them by Philips 2 zigbee lamps)

I also have 3 Google Home mini's
One of them is kicked out of the WIFI network for the second time now, which sucks because I have an alarm clock each workday activated.

This never happened with my previous WIF setup: EAP245 stand alone (previous firmware) and an old TPLINK router which I turned to an AP with DDWRT software

I have selected WPA2/WPA3 - EAS as authentication

Options
2021-02-11 15:32:03

@Anjerlaan 

just jumping in because we have similar setups and similar problems. 

I updated to the new version of the software controller (4.2.8) and started noting a TON of failed connections. 

In the 2 days since the update, there's 16,000 (yes, 16 thousand) failed connections. 

I've got an EAP225 and an EAP225 outdoor. I wonder if my neighbors have devices that are just randomly scanning for wifi and failing to connect, and its happening all day long. I'm going to do a deeper dive into the logs. I found one of my wyze cameras is offline and failing to connect, but there's a bunch of other MAC addresses that aren't mine. 

I'm turning down the power of the radio to medium to see if I can slow down the errors. And going to turn off my outside AP totally as part of the testing. 

Curious what else you might have tried or suggest. 

OC200, 2x SG-TL3428, T1500G-10MPS, 3x EAP225, Firewalla Gold (replaced ER-605)
Options
2021-02-11 16:32:02 - last edited 2021-02-11 16:38:26

@CoKro 

The Google Home Nest mini's are known of disconnecting issues.

I have tested this in Node-Red with a ping node on the Google Home Nest Mini device every 20s.

there are quite some disconnections/reconnections on a daily basis.

however in my previous setup (no controller, only EAP245 and an old TPlink router which I converted to AP with DDWRT software), the Google Home Nest Mini never was kicked from the SSID.

with the new setup it already happened twice....which sucks, because I have set a weekly alarm clock script running.

Therefor I was wondering if Omada controller (or the EAPs new firmware) is part of the WPA authorization problem.

90% happens on the EAP225-Outdoor

Options
2021-02-11 17:59:40

@Anjerlaan 

I'll need to check into that. I have two laptops that simply won't connect to any of my SSIDs. I know Google Home minis (and most Google Home devices) have a terrible time with SSIDs that have both 2.4 and 5gHz, so I don't have any of those. I have a separate 2.4gHz just for my "smart" devices, and they stay connected much much better that way. When they lose their connection, I normally hear them do their cycle, and I see the network drop on my Lenovo Display. 

But the only thing that has changed was the udpate to the new version of the controller. I might take the EAP225outdoor out of the controller and see if any of the devices can connect to that. 

Definitely seems like there's some issues with the newest Omada software. I actually bought an OC200 to move to the hardware controller from running the software on my ubuntu server. Long story short -- the OC200 can't accept VLAN traffic other than its own system VLAN1, which isn't what I wanted. So I'm returning it. Figured I'd upgrade to the newest software, and thats when the issues started. 

Options
2021-02-11 19:39:46
I rolled back to 3.2.14 and everything is fine. My "challenging" laptops suddenly authenticated immediately. The only hiccup right now is that the Omada SDN dashboard is showing 0 clients, when everything is connected and working fine. But right now, that was more important than the software.
Options
2021-02-11 20:56:37 - last edited 2021-02-11 20:59:13

I have one SSID with both 2.4 and 5ghz. I need the 2.4ghz to reach the outpost of the garden. Have you tried to create 2 SSID's... One for normal hardware (2.4 and 5ghz) and one for the IOT devices?.. All my IOT devices are zigbee2mqtt of RFXcom driven, only the 3 mini's are wifi...maybe i should try to create an SSID only for the mini's...5ghz...because they are all 3 in the 5ghz range...to prevent switching between 2.4 and 5ghz

I also noticed that the omada controller software is updated to 4.2.11....only the software...not yet for the OC200

Options
2021-02-12 03:23:00

Dear @CoKro,

I rolled back to 3.2.14 and everything is fine. My "challenging" laptops suddenly authenticated immediately. The only hiccup right now is that the Omada SDN dashboard is showing 0 clients, when everything is connected and working fine. But right now, that was more important than the software.

Omada Controller v3.2.14 cannot manage the EAP with the Omada SDN firmware since they are incompatible. If you want to manage the EAP properly, please also downgrade the EAPs to non-SDN firmware. Similar problem has been discussed Here.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8165

Replies: 8

Related Articles