IP & MAC adress of my VM is not viewable in DECO app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IP & MAC adress of my VM is not viewable in DECO app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:IP & MAC adress of my VM is not viewable in DECO app
2021-06-03 06:02:39
I am also having the same issue with VMs not showing in the device list on the Deco app so I am unable to port forward. Please can this be fixed?
Options
Re:IP & MAC adress of my VM is not viewable in DECO app -Solution
2021-06-07 10:04:27 - last edited 2021-06-15 03:37:09

@GucciSlides 

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

After checking with the senior engineers, there is some information for your reference:

Why VM is not showing on the online list?

Deco will recognize the client based on its MAC address.

When the host PC connects to the Deco via Wi-Fi and VM starts working,  VM communicates with Deco by bridging the host PC's wireless adapter, rather than communicates with Deco directly.

So from Deco's view, it can only see the MAC of the host PC's wireless network adapter, and the VM's MAC is overwritten so that you can't see the VM on the client list on the Deco app.

What are the possible solutions if I want to open ports for VM?

Please refer to the following workaround:

1)Connect the VM to the Deco via a cable, when the VM shows up on the Deco app, open the port for the VM on the Deco app.

2) Record the VM's IP address when it's connected to the Deco via cable.

3) Disconnect the VM to the Deco via cable and connect via wi-fi instead.

4) Set the wired IP address on the VM's wireless adapter manually.

5) Connect the VM to the Deco via Wi-Fi, and then the port forwarding rule will take effect for the VM.

Please feel free to let me know whether this suggestion works or not;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-07 13:04:14

@TP-Link 

I don't understand the solution. How do I connect the VM to DECO via cable ? I am running the VM on virtual box on a Macbook. do you mean to say connect MacBook directly to deco? Should we still leave the VM settings as Bridged Adapter ?

Options
2021-06-11 07:21:56

@A27 

Yes, connect the host MacBook via cable to the Deco and leave the VM settings as Bridged Adapter;

When the MacBook is wired to the Deco, there would be VM and MacBook on the online list;

Options
2021-06-14 08:31:42

@TP-Link This worked for me :) Thank you so much! 

Options
2021-11-17 04:00:41

@TP-Link 

Maybe allow port forwarding to be manually setup to an IP instead of requiring it to be mapped to a client?

Options
2021-12-24 07:35:42

@TP-Link Hi, thanks for your help. Can you explain step by step how to open the port via the deco app? It would be really helpful. Thanks and happy holidays

Options
2022-02-08 08:31:43

@TP-Link 

Is there a way of resolving this if you can't connect your MacBook with a cable (no ethernet port) to the deco? I'm using Windows 11 as a virtual machine.

Options
2022-04-14 13:37:16

It's silly that all the advanced settings require having either a machine with an ethernet adapter or buying a separate adapter so you can register another machine.

You can't do port forwarding because there's no address in Deco yet. You can't set a static address because address reservation also requires an existing connection.

Please just allow advanced settings to be set manually. This should be standard in all TPLink firmware.

Between this issue, the inability to disable DHCP without changing to AP mode, and a completely useless web interface, I'm beginning to wonder why there are advanced settings for the router at all.

Options
Related Articles