computer with PIA still works through parental controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-07 18:14:08
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956(5553)

hi everyone

thank you in advance for your help.

so here's the scenario:

on my router:

i setup basic parental controls for each of my kid's devices,   basically on/off switch for wifi access.     so if one of the kids need to be punished. i usually go in there.  flip it on and the device has no access to wifi.  there are no time ranges setup.   just on/off.

one of my kids has PIA app installed for vpn on his desktop which is on. 24/7.

he is somehow still able to use the internet even though i turned off his wifi access at the router

how is this possible? and is there anything i can do on the router to prevent this?

Options
4 Reply
Re:computer with PIA still works through parental controls
2021-02-07 18:41:03 - last edited 2021-02-07 18:43:10

@ascensyon 

If the MAC address of the wireless card of the desktop PC has changed from what it was at the time when you added it to the parental controls profile, then it will have no more effect.
To verify this theory you would need to compare the current MAC address of the PC to the MAC address stored in the parental controls profile. However, the way TP-Link has laid out the parental controls setup page, it seems it's not possible to review the MAC address that's stored inside the profile. (unless I've missed something)

Anyway, if the above was the case, then the only way to prevent this would be to create a Whitelist (under Security -> Access Control) of all legitimate client devices. That way, if any client device changed its MAC address it would not be able to connect to the network at all.

Options
2021-02-07 18:51:07

@woozle thank you for your response,  but the live mac address is the same that's saved within the parental control profile.

i've even tried to black list the mac and it still went through.  seems the only way was to reboot the router and then it took again.  but it dont want ot have to reboot the router each time.

Options
2021-02-07 19:11:02

@ascensyon 

If it works fine initially after a reboot, but stops working after some time, then it could be a flaw in the router's software. That would be something for TP-Link to investigate.

Options
2021-02-07 19:48:31
this is exactly what happens
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 440

Replies: 4