Deco p7 performance master slave degradation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-17 19:36:45 - last edited 2021-02-17 19:37:56
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.4.9

Master P7 is connected directly to router (1Gb) via lan cable. 

Slave P7 is at ten meters from master.

Cable connected to master speed is 900 Mb (good!).

Wifi connected to master speed is 550 Mb (less good but ok).

Wifi connected to slave speed is 150 Mb (no good).

No other device is connected. No elettromagnetic interference is evident. No physical elements is between the two devices.

There is a way to improve the connection (some secret config since I tried almost everything is on the deco app)?

- I have already tried switching master slave with no effect.

- I cannot move the router

Thanks.

Gorgia

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco p7 performance master slave degradation
2021-02-17 21:31:51

@Gorgia 

What does Signal Source show for Satellite Deco, in Deco app?

Weak signal to Main Deco could impact Satellite performance greately.

Options
2021-02-18 19:17:04

@Gorgia 

Thanks for your reply Alexandre

Signal show two out of three lines. That's strange since the master and slave devices see each other and are separeted by no more than 10 meters.

There are no obstacles or other devices between them.

I have noticed that i can reach, at most, half of the wifi bandwith generated by the master wifi. That's too accurate to be a coincidence: is it normal?

Thanks.

Options
2021-02-18 21:04:32 - last edited 2021-02-18 21:18:58

@Gorgia 

I wish you would have shared screenshot of signal source for Satellite Deco, such as:

This is my Satellite Deco M5. You have P7, it can use powerline, so it would be useful to know if it connects to Main Deco by powerline or by WiFi. You can find very useful conversation on Deco powerline topic at the following forum discussion: Deco P9 (3-pack) - How do I know if the Powerline Backhaul is working?

I also recommend you visit FAQ article about Deco backhaul, through link provided by TP-Link Support in that same forum discussion.

Also, I can help you to align performance expectations from Deco, based on testing I have done with my Deco mesh. I run Deco mesh with M9/M5, other than powerline backhaul their networking specs are very similar to P7 you have.

Theoretical maximum WiFi speed you could get from P7/M5/M9 while on 5GHz in ideal conditions is 866 Mbps.

My best result from Main Deco I ever got: 596 Mbps.

My average result from Main Deco: 450-500Mbps.

Picture I shared above is Signal Source from my Satellite M5 connected wirelessly to Main Deco. Best result for Satellite M5: 250Mbps.

What I have I consider it normal.

Comparing to what you have, your Main Deco gives you an excellent speed, your Satellite Deco gives you an OK speed, for WiFi backhaul. Could have been better, but OK as is.

Depending if Satellite Deco uses powerline or WiFi for backhaul, you could take steps to see if it can deliver more.

1. Powerline backhaul is in use.

Connect wired device (desktop, laptop) to Ethernet port of Satellite Deco and run speedtest on that device. What you'll get is maximum possible speed Satellite Deco will deliver wirelessly to wireless devices.

If what you see is 200-250Mbps or less, see Internet articles about benefits and drawbacks of powerline adapters, similar to this one: https://www.lifewire.com/powerline-home-networking-and-homeplug-817720

Look for hints and tricks for optimal location of powerline adapters, and especially what else you should not plug in electrical outlets when you use powerline adapters. Hint: anything that says "dimmable" is a big NO. Here is good FAQ on that topic: https://kb.netgear.com/20233/Product-FAQ-Powerline-Adapters

I point you to powerline adapters, because powerline backhaul is essentially what it is, and with the help of google you may be able to improve powerline backhaul performance of P7, thus increasing Satellite Deco wireless speed.

2. WiFi backhaul is in use, powerline is not present.

If your Decos are not using powerline backhaul, you might be mssing major P7/P9 benefit.

You may have to accept the speed you are getting at Satellite Deco, even if you have quite good location for it. 

As a test, you could connect Satellite and Main with Ethernet cable, would not be too hard in your case with 10 meter Ethernet cable, and see if that will improve performance. Ethernet backhaul takes priority over powerline and WiFi backhauls.

I expect you'll see better download speeds by wireless devices connected to Satellite Deco when it is wired to Main Deco. If not, there must be some sort of electromagnetic noise around Satellite Deco - and you'll know where to focus your efforts on improving Satellite performance.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 3