How i can replace the old router with new one?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-19 12:51:15 - last edited 2021-02-24 14:10:12
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a fiber router from iSP but the signal is weak, I decide to buy a new router (WIFI 6)
I need to connect the new router without replacing the old one, also I want to put it beside them (In the same place) and turn off the old WLAN.
the question is what the best configuration to make it works without conflict IP and without removing the old one ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How i can replace the old router with new one?-Solution
2021-02-24 14:08:10 - last edited 2021-02-24 14:10:12

@YazanMajadba 

Then you can go for this scenario.

That way the device is still in router mode, and you can avoid the double NAT in your network.

Connection in that case would be LAN to LAN (Not LAN to WAN as previously commented).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:How i can replace the old router with new one?
2021-02-24 12:57:20

@YazanMajadba 

You can use the AP mode of AX50 to achieve that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-24 14:03:21

@Ivaylo 

I need to use it as router mode to get all features 

Options
Re:How i can replace the old router with new one?-Solution
2021-02-24 14:08:10 - last edited 2021-02-24 14:10:12

@YazanMajadba 

Then you can go for this scenario.

That way the device is still in router mode, and you can avoid the double NAT in your network.

Connection in that case would be LAN to LAN (Not LAN to WAN as previously commented).

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-24 14:10:28
Thank you
Options
2021-02-24 16:52:52 - last edited 2021-02-24 17:12:11

@Ivaylo 

I'm a little confused by your answer, actually which method is better to set the Archer C80 or AX50 routers to work better as Access point devices?

Is it better in case 1 or case 2

I'm interested in this because I have 3 pieces of Archer C80 that work in Access Point mode and connected as in case 2, so I'm interested if I switch them to work in Router mode and connect as you said in case 1, then I wouldn't have a problem with interrupting the Wi-Fi signal in short when I move from one AP point to another AP point?

Thanks!

TRUST NO ONE, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Options
2021-02-24 17:13:02 - last edited 2021-02-24 17:15:56

@zexoni70 

Actually they are different scenarios.

Case 1 is for older router models which don't have a dedicated Operation Mode: AP.

In newer router devices there's a dedicated AP mode - hence you can use Case 2, but that dosn't mean you can't use Case 1.

The difference is that in Case 2 the device has limited features available.

Regarding your question - using Case 1 scenario won't solve interrupting the Wi-Fi signal when moving between different devices.

To be able to solve that you have to use some of the mesh technologies like OneMesh or Deco.

Options
2021-02-24 17:25:26 - last edited 2021-02-24 17:28:40

@Ivaylo 

Thanks for the reply, and do you know when the new firmware for Archer C80 will be released, which member @Kevin_Z announced ...?

TRUST NO ONE, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Options
2021-02-24 17:36:56

@zexoni70 

On that question only Kevin can give you an answer, since he is a TP-Link official.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3155

Replies: 8

Related Articles