Archer C6 + RE205 OneMesh seamless connection doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-06 21:05:24
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I've owned the TP-Link RE205 EU v2 for some time and few weeks ago I learned about the OneMesh function. I was impressed by the Seamless Wi-Fi connection feature and decided to buy an Archer C6 EU v2 router to try it out. I set both devices into an Onemesh network but couldn't get them change from the router to extender and vice versa without issues. Mostly after the change I can't get any internet traffic unless I turn Wi-Fi on my device on and off. In other occasions I just stay connected to the router, even when I'm standing next to the extender.

The router is located on ground floor and the extender is located in second floor. 

I don't use the Smart connect function since many of my devices use Bluetooth as well and there is lot of interference from neighbors so I try to keep using 2.4GHz band at least as possible

Both devices were updated to latest firmware. 

Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer C6 + RE205 OneMesh seamless connection doesn't work
2021-03-08 01:55:05

@Tranda 

May I know what are the devices connected to the C6+RE205 network? Are they all experiencing the same issue when switching between the router network and the RE network?

How many signal bars of the C6 router when you're standing in the location of the RE205? You may unplug the RE205, then run a Wi-Fi analyzer to verify the signal of the router, -50~-60dBm will be good. If the signal from the C6 is not good enough, try to relocate the RE205, ensure it can get a good signal from the C6 router, then confirm again if the roaming will be good.

As per the issue you are mentioning that the device connected to the Router/RE network then cannot get internet access when switches to the other, does the device still get a correct IP address from the network? You may test this on different mobile phones, or it is suggested to restore the router and RE to factory defaults, then reconfigure them from scratch to monitor again.

Options
2021-03-08 09:11:56

@Kevin_Z 
Hello, thank you for your reply.

So far I'm testing it only with my phone, a Oneplus 5. I want to be sure, everything is working well before I move the rest of my family members to the new network.

I tried, to check the signal. on 2.4 GHz band I have about -70dBm and on 5GHz band I got -75 dBm. I can try to relocate the RE205, but then part of my house will lose WiFi coverage. Would puting Archer C6 -> RE 205 -> (another OneMesh Range extender) work?

Yes, when I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 then it worked. But pinging 8.8.8.8 stops after I moved from ground floor to third floor or vice versa. Maybe the issue is my phone?

I'll try it later with other devices when they'll be available and report back.

Options
2021-03-09 06:45:54

@Tranda 

Please confirm if the issue will still happen on other devices, such as laptops or phones.

Options
2021-03-09 20:10:04

Hello @Kevin_Z ,

seems the issue is on the side of my OnePlus phone. In last two days I was testing with various devices (Samsung, Nokia, Sony, a Dell laptop) and none of them have any issues whatsoever.

Thank you for your assistance

Options
2021-03-09 20:23:59

@Kevin_Z 
Oh and a question, would connecting Archer C6 (ground floor) -> RE 205 (first floor) -> (another OneMesh Range extender)(second floor) work?
The Archer has to be on ground floor since there is the phone socket and my modem.
Thanks

Options
2021-03-10 07:26:18

@Tranda 

Only an Onemesh router and the Onemesh RE can build up an Onemesh network, the second RE cannot connect to the existing RE205 via Onemesh. Onemesh powerline extenders may be a workaround for you? You may have a check:

https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/product-list/

Options
2021-03-10 19:42:33

Hello @Kevin_Z 

So the second RE has to be connected to the Router directly, right?
Unfortunately Powerline can't be used as workaround. I own a PA9020P set, and I can barely get 50Mbps from ground floor up to second floor. I had tried a PA8010P set previously, but I could get only around half of that speed, so I returned those.

Options
2021-03-11 02:47:39

@Tranda 

That's bad. The second RE can connect to the first without an issue, but they cannot build up the Onemesh network. It is not that suggested using them in a daisy chain, the speed may not be that good when connected to the second, as the extenders are working at half-duplex. If there is no other option, and speed doesn't matter that much, you can still give it a go.

Options
2021-03-11 10:07:58

@Kevin_Z 

I see. I was previously using the RE in high-speed mode (2,4GHz connection to Router and 5GHz broadcast) and that worked fine, both in coverage and speed. It was only missing the seamless switch. Do you know if there are some plans for the future to use that feature in combination with OneMesh? Like REs communicating with the main Router only on 2,4GHz band and broadcasting only 5GHz band for devices to connect but still maintaining seamless switch?

Thank you

Options
2021-03-18 08:07:53

@Tranda 

Hi, we hope you could spend some time on the Onemesh survey, then we will better understand your requirements, thank you:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/257632

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 10

Related Articles