TL-WA 801N configuration as access point - privacy?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-17 15:33:16
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello there,

please forgive me for not doing a forum search. I'm not sure about the terminology so I wouldn't know what to search for.

We have the above access point for our guests. I have created a new SSID and password in the device for this purpose. It seems that people who connect to this AP also have access to our private devices (e.g. WiFi speaker) that connect to a different SSID on the main router.

How can I avoid this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WA 801N configuration as access point - privacy?
2021-03-19 23:41:24

@fewocastell 

Hey

This is happening as the Access Point is on the same LAN (Cable connection) as the rest of the devices, namely your private network.

The SSID name is pretty irrelevient if honest and wont stop access to anything, its literally just a name to identify that specific WiFi connection.     For example in a house you could have 2x APs with different SSIDs setup, say  UpStairs and DownStairs..  it would let you know which AP you are connected too but technically its still the same network, this is the case for you.

Being completely honest you are not going to be able to create a guest network (internet only, no acccess to other devices) with that model of AP.   I would recommend you look to one of the newer APs from the Omada range (something like the EAP225) as this can have multiple SSIDs broadcast and supports GUEST SSID.

When you enable a Guest SSID it will literally block the device attached to this SSID from accessing anything but the internet.    You could have the EAP225 broadcasting 2x SSIDs..  one for your devices (secure) and a guest WiFi  that can only access the internet. 

Hopefully that helps!

Options
2021-03-21 17:27:28
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.
Options
2021-03-28 14:56:48

It turns out I also have a TL-WA901ND

Does it support a private mode?

Options
2021-03-29 22:45:15

@fewocastell 

Hey

Im not 100% sure of that device as ive not personally used it, however the spec doesnt indicate anything guest WiFi capable.

You should see guest WiFi clearly in the setting if this is possible.

Options
2021-05-14 21:11:30

@Philbert Sorry for the late reply, I missed the notification. Thanks for the advice, I'll buy a new one with that capability.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 720

Replies: 5