Are already open connections (i.e. to Minecraft Servers) getting closed by Parental Controls?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Are already open connections (i.e. to Minecraft Servers) getting closed by Parental Controls?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-17 23:11:05

I'm missing information about how or if already open connections will be closed by parental controls!

Because I see my kids playing Minecraft on Online Server for much longer than parental controls should allow it… :-(

This is documented at OpenWRT Wiki for example, but I really can't find anything for my TP-Link AX6000:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/firewall/fw3_configurations/fw3_parent_controls#time_restriction_of_internet_access

Options
4 Reply
Re:Are already open connections (i.e. to Minecraft Servers) getting closed by Parental Controls?
2021-03-18 02:37:09

@thomasmerz 

I'm wondering have you added Minecraft as a key world in the Blocked Content successfully? Please kindly refer to this guide to double-check the Parental Control settings on the AX6000, ensure the Time Settings are correct as well:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2386/

Refer to this guide to check the Time Settings on the AX6000:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1547/

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Are already open connections (i.e. to Minecraft Servers) getting closed by Parental Controls?
2021-03-18 07:45:12

@Kevin_Z I might have been unclear regarding details:

I'm not blocking Minecraft at all - my kids are allowed to play/use it. But I don't want them to play longer than a period of time. Therefore I use the "Time Limit" feature from "Home Care's" "Parental Controls":

For all (?) other websites or games this works pretty well :-) (many thumbs up!) But I see them playing Minecraft much longer than there "time limit" does allow. no

==> So I thought that "Time Limit" might not close already open connections as Minecraft might deal with after I don't this wiki article on OpenWRT…

I'm a computer scientist with deep knowledge about TCP/IP, but not a Minecraft-Pro at all and I didn't find anything:

- if Minecraft (server or client invoking this?) keeps connections open "forever" and

- if tp-link's time limit/parental controls won't close open connections.

Because websites usually open and close many connections while surfing, this time limiting is working fine for this case (youtube for example, watching the running video up to the end and then "boooom! no internet anymore!" laugh yes

Many/some other games also seem to work like this and can also be time limited very easily.

But what about Minecraft?

What about closing open connections if Minecraft is designed this ways?

Kind regards for any help that make me help to understand WHY time limits won't or can't end Minecraft sessions at all! heart

Options
2021-03-18 08:03:18 - last edited 2021-03-18 08:03:52

Seems like the problem is "known" and very old for other models, too:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/97330

But still unresolved sad

Options
2021-03-19 06:30:38

@thomasmerz 

This would require investigating further. We would like to escalate the case to the engineer, who will help follow it up on via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 4

Related Articles