How to disable Wi-Fi radio without logging into TL-WR1042ND?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-20 12:40:58 - last edited 2021-04-26 19:41:16
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.15.2 Build 121017 Rel.54542n

Hi everyone!

Router TL-WR1042ND works. It connects to the WAN, DHCP allows you to attach devices that receive IP.

The problem is that after a normal reset and after a 30/30/30 reset, you cannot log in to admin, admin.

It does not accept. Then a message appears in the browser at 192.168.0.1:

"Username or Password is incorrect.
Please refer to the troubleshooting below:
Is the "Caps Lock" enabled on your keyboard?
The username and password must be lowercase, please ensure that the "Caps Lock" LED is
disabled on your keyboard and try again.
Forgot your username or password?
Please reset the device to the factory default settings if you have forgotten your username or
password. The default username is "admin", the default password is printed on the tag under the
device.
Note: The settings will be restored to factory default after the resetting.
How to restore the device to the factory default settings?
Firstly locate the reset button on the rear panel of the unit, whilst the device is powered on press
and hold the reset button for more than 5 seconds, the device will then reboot and restore itself to
the factory default settings."

But as I pointed out in the introduction after the reset nothing changes.

Just to be safe, I wanted to cut off the radio on the motherboard so there is no Wi-Fi access.

Does anyone have an idea how to disable Wi-Fi so that the router is still on ethernet?

Pulling out the antenna cables does not disable Wi-Fi, it will only weaken the range. How to turn off the power to the chipset responsible for the radio?

Wouldn't cutting off all RTL8192CE connections on the MoBo damage the operation of the other MoBo components?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to disable Wi-Fi radio without logging into TL-WR1042ND?-Solution
2021-04-26 19:41:00 - last edited 2021-04-26 19:41:16

@7zip 

TL-WR1042ND has Wireless On/Off button on the front panel.

When pressed for a long time while the router is running, it permanently turns off or on Wi-Fi.
The router retains the settings of this button after it is disconnected and then reconnected to the power supply.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to disable Wi-Fi radio without logging into TL-WR1042ND?
2021-03-20 13:15:54

@7zip 

Personally I wouldn't be touching the chip itself as you are likely to kill the device.  Removing or disabling the chip would likely cause the Firmware to reject / fail and the device may not post for you.   Cant say its something i have ever tried however

If you really want to stop as much WiFi as possible then unsolder the gray cables connecting the antenna from the board, that should kill 99% of the WiFi strength for you.   

Im guessing you are doing this for some security reason?  However if this really is a concern for you would it be better replacing the device with a LAN only router, also may offer you more enhanced security and features

Options
Re:How to disable Wi-Fi radio without logging into TL-WR1042ND?
2021-03-20 21:26:28 - last edited 2021-04-26 19:41:14

@Philbert 

Thank you for joining the discussion.

Despite your objections to the firmware operation, there is some way I can enable and disable the wi-fi radio while the wdr4300 and wdr3600 routers are running.
I suppose there is also some way for the wr1042nd.

Maybe one of the Output type pins (www.google.com/search?q=RTL8192CE-Realtek.pdf)? The firmware would not know about it.

Other than satisfying curiosity, I have no other reason to gain knowledge. 

Options
Re:How to disable Wi-Fi radio without logging into TL-WR1042ND?-Solution
2021-04-26 19:41:00 - last edited 2021-04-26 19:41:16

@7zip 

TL-WR1042ND has Wireless On/Off button on the front panel.

When pressed for a long time while the router is running, it permanently turns off or on Wi-Fi.
The router retains the settings of this button after it is disconnected and then reconnected to the power supply.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 709

Replies: 3