Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

167 Reply
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-12-20 04:18:35
yep
Options
2024-01-01 03:37:04
I, too, am running into this same issue. I probably wouldn't have bothered setting up pi-hole in the first place if not for the Deco's lack of local DNS capabilities.
Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2024-01-14 07:25:42

@TP-Link 

I'm replying with a solution. I have XE75 Decos and I recently installed PiHole on and old laptop with a Linux install. I ran into the guest network issue. So my fix was to take a second old laptop and install everything again, then set the 1st install as the primary DNS and have it connected to the main network, and the 2nd as the 2nd DNS and connected to the Guest Network. 

It seems to be working. Kind of a pain. But cheaper than buying new routers at this point. 

My next ones will be able to do this. So I'm not going to buy TP-LINK again when it comes time to upgrade , if they don't create a DNS setting for guest networks. 

Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2024-01-15 03:54:51

@iPassButter That's not a solution, it's a workaround.

Options
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2024-02-15 22:57:11

@richpriest

I'd like to see separate DNS configuration for the Guest network. I am running a primary and secondary pihole DNS servers on my main network which makes it impossible to enable the Guest network. 

I'd also like to see a separate DNS configuration for Isolated devices so that I can Isolate my IOT devices. I can enable the IOT network and place my IOT devices on it since that permits routing to the main network so there's no issue accessing the DNS, but what I really want to do with my IOT devices is to isolate them, and obviously they wouldn't have access to the local DNS at that point.

I see that this has been a feature request  for a long time, but perhaps just a few more votes are all that's needed to convince the feature team that this is worthwhile.

Options
2024-02-23 08:12:21 - last edited 2024-02-23 08:14:03

Same issue as everyone else. I bought this mesh system for my parents and regret it. The pi hole doesn't work with either the guest or iot network. So you end up having all devices share the same network which ruins security. Won't buy another tp Link product...lesson learned. Allow separate DNS entries per main, guest and iot networks.

Options
2024-02-24 00:56:13
Separate DNS settings for guest and IOT networks please!
Options
2024-03-04 07:42:46 - last edited 2024-03-17 20:04:56

Hi @TP_LINK,

We're approaching the 3 year mark since my post, and have yet to have an update further than 'we'll look into it'. Is there an update please?

Options
2024-03-17 08:14:44 - last edited 2024-03-17 08:16:15

This is shameful for a company which has official guide for how to add pihole as a dns for their routers

Does your engineers even test the functions before deploying ???

I have a tri pack S7 which has its Guest Network functions rendered useless due to your lack of expertise

This feature should not be "Future Consideration" .. this should be "Urgent"

why do you even have a guest function and custom dns function if you can't fully utilize it

Engineers in TP LINK should be ashamed to not implement a necessary option even after 2+ years of users asking

Never going TP LINK again

Also remove the recommended solution from last message... it isn't a solution

Options
2024-03-21 15:09:13
who dns are you using try cloudflare 1,1,1,2 & googledns 8.8.8.8 on deco or tplink or anyones router you should be stable private & fast unless your isp is having issues of there own
Options

Voters 102

+ 98 Voters