Deco M9 Plus V2 network refuses to connect devices to nearest mesh unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-01 05:36:43 - last edited 2021-04-01 05:41:10
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I've got a mesh network consisting of two Deco M9 Plusses and two M4Rs. Both are V2.

I've got one long-standing issue: per the title, the network either refuses to connect devices to the closest mesh unit, or it takes a ridiculously long time to do so. Yes, fast roaming and beamforming are enabled. Yes, my WiFi adapters support fast roaming. My laptop's adapter, in question, is an Intel Wireless-AC 9560. I've tuned it to maximize compatibility and performance; the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands are restricted to 20MHz only to reduce interference, fast roaming is maxed out at highest activity, and transmit power is set to the highest possible setting as well. 

Right now, I'm sitting one feet away from an M9 unit placed upstairs; my phone is still connected to the primary M9 unit serving as the "router". 

Is there any way I can rectify this issue, or is this a limitation with the Decos? The same thing happens when I position my devices next to one of my M4Rs; I often end up connecting directly to the primary Deco M9. This results in nonnegligible packet loss and jitter, so I really hope it can be fixed.

Also, just to double-check: does the M9 Plus V2 still have no web-based interface with firmware v1.5.1?

@Kevin_Z pinging a TPLink admin per this

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus V2 network refuses to connect devices to nearest mesh unit
2021-04-01 13:15:03

@NetworkPianist 

NetworkPianist wrote

I've got a mesh network consisting of two Deco M9 Plusses and two M4Rs. Both are V2.

I've got one long-standing issue: per the title, the network either refuses to connect devices to the closest mesh unit, or it takes a ridiculously long time to do so.

It is mobile device, such as smartphone or laptop, that refuses to switch to (or connect to) the closest mesh unit. If you will look at issue that way, there are options to improve device roaming between mesh units.

>the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands are restricted to 20MHz only to reduce interference

Turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network. That should improve roaming between mesh nodes for both laptop and smartphone.

As for laptop tuning, for its WiFi adapter in Device Manager:

>fast roaming is maxed out at highest activity

If it is not the same as "Roaming Aggressiveness," move Roaming Aggressiveness value up to the max.

Set "Preferred band" to 5GHz.

Enable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Options
2021-04-01 14:47:10 - last edited 2021-04-01 14:53:41

@Alexandre. Thanks for the reply!

>  Turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network. That should improve roaming between mesh nodes for both laptop and smartphone.

Both my devices (phone, laptop) default to 5GHz while using the Deco's network. I've got WiFi-analyzing applications on both devices so I know that for a fact.

>  If it is not the same as "Roaming Aggressiveness," move Roaming Aggressiveness value up to the max.

>  Set "Preferred band" to 5GHz.

>  Enable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

The two former ones are already configured as such, and the latter is disabled because it causes some instability issues during intensive use.

Edit: I've found a workable solution for the time being — forcibly connecting to an individual node using a WiFi-connecting application and then turning off the mesh function for that particular device. It isn't glamorous in any way but, hey, it works...

Options
2021-04-01 15:34:45 - last edited 2021-04-01 15:35:35

@NetworkPianist 

I would still recommend to disable 2.4GHz on Main Network. Deco mesh uses band steering to move idle devices to 2.4GHz. Which is where your smartphone will end, and won't be eager to roam to the nearest node when you walk with it in your house, because WiFi 2.4GHz signal from Deco units is strong.

I have disabled 2.4GHz on my Deco M9/M5, my Android smartphone and Microsoft tablet connect to the nearest Deco much faster now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 954

Replies: 3