How to keep the internet connection active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-01 09:59:30
Model: TL-MR3020  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everybody,

I have an interesting problem.

I tried to use my mobile router MR3020 to provide an internet connection for the smart hub in one of my properties, in order to monitor temperature and humidity.

I use a TP-Link MA-180 as the dongle to provide the 4G connectivity.

For the first hour everything goes fine - the router connects to the Internet, the hub reaches the cloud server and so I can access the hub, read the sensor's data, etc.

However after one hour with no traffic the connection is shut down. At this point, of course, I can't connect any more to the router. My explanation is that:

1. The mobile operator kills the connection after one hour because there's no traffic. There's no traffic because the hub doesn't send anything and unless I connect to the hub continuously the server doesn't poll ther hub
  2. When I finally want to read the sensor data, say after a week, the cloud server tries to reach the hub using the IP address of the killed connection - and of course it fails as there's no active connection

Is my understanding correct?

Is there any way to make the hub reachable via a mobile router?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

DMax

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to keep the internet connection active
2021-04-01 17:50:33

@DMax 

Hi,

I'm afraid you can't do that on 4G networks. They cannot maintain the IP. On the provider I use, no incoming connection is possible.

My solution is to use a small PC (raspberry Pi should work too).

From there, I open an ssh connection to my remote PC.

And now, when I connect to my remote PC, I am automajically connected to my small PC.

You can have a look there for an explanation:

https://www.howtogeek.com/428413/what-is-reverse-ssh-tunneling-and-how-to-use-it/

BUT

You have to do a script to recreate the connexion each time it falls (when 4G connection is closed, or change IP...)

I have some working (but not yet 100% reliable) code for centos (Window is BAD). I got the router one month ago only, so, it's still a work in progress.

regards,

Christian

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 1