TP-Link Archer AX50 doesn't recognise Netgear GS305P unmanaged switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-02 16:45:57 - last edited 2021-04-02 16:46:58
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)

I have recently purchase the AX50 to try to increase coverage, but still didn't get there (although it doesn't seem that range was increased significantly).

My previous setup was connecting directly the switch (Netgear GS305P) to a LAN port of my ISP router. To the switch I have connected 3 Dahua cameras and 1 WD Cloud. Everything was working fine (except coverage).

When installing AX50, I have connected it (WAN port) to the ISP router using the same cable (and LAN port) that was connected to the switch and used the cable provided with AX50 to connect it to the switch. No device on the switch is reconized. I moved WD cloud from the switch to AX50 directly and it worked. I cannot test with the cameras, because they need the switch to have energy (GS305P is PoE).

I can only assume (maybe wrongly, since I am not a expert in these area) there is something wrong happenning between AX50 and the switch (some kind of incompatibility).

And, by the way, maybe I went for the wrong solution to extend range (i have a 4 bedrooms apartment with 170 squared meters).

Any suggestions for Switch problem? Any comment around range extension?

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer AX50 doesn't recognise Netgear GS305P unmanaged switch
2021-04-02 21:02:03

@rfsmoura 

Hi,

On the GS305P, what does the LED for the LAN port that connects to the AX50 indicate? (i.e. on or off, color, blinking or solid)

Options
2021-04-03 11:09:12

@woozle 

The Led is green, blinking every now and then. 

woozle wrote

@rfsmoura 

Hi,

On the GS305P, what does the LED for the LAN port that connects to the AX50 indicate? (i.e. on or off, color, blinking or solid)

Options
2021-04-03 18:29:32

@rfsmoura 

Ok, so the switch is detecting properly that a device is connected to the port.

Then it could be indeed, like you said, some kind of incompatibility.

Regarding your coverage problem. For an apartment of that size one single router as the sole wireless access point, no matter which make and model, will probably not be sufficient. If your environment allows for placing the router exactly in the center of your apartment's layout, then you might have a chance. However, in most homes this is not so easily possible.

I don't have a Mesh setup myself, because I can currently do without one, but this could be a way to go for you. Just be aware that buying one of the cheaper Mesh solutions could still turn out as a disappointment, depending on what your expectations are.

Options
2021-04-04 17:03:56

thanks @woozle 

I have sent TP-Link local support an e-mail, let's see what will be their answer. Even ff if they solve it, I'll probably return it anyway and go for other solution, since I can't place the router exactly in the center of my apartment.

I do have in each room a cable connection (Cat6) to the router since my apartment has that embed (it is new construction). My doubt is if I should go for a Mesh system or Access Points? And in order to avoid any disappointment, what would you suggest as equipment?

As I mentioned, I am not an expert, so any suggestion, would be great!

Thanks

woozle wrote

@rfsmoura 

Ok, so the switch is detecting properly that a device is connected to the port.

Then it could be indeed, like you said, some kind of incompatibility.

Regarding your coverage problem. For an apartment of that size one single router as the sole wireless access point, no matter which make and model, will probably not be sufficient. If your environment allows for placing the router exactly in the center of your apartment's layout, then you might have a chance. However, in most homes this is not so easily possible.

I don't have a Mesh setup myself, because I can currently do without one, but this could be a way to go for you. Just be aware that buying one of the cheaper Mesh solutions could still turn out as a disappointment, depending on what your expectations are.

Options
2021-04-04 23:02:56

@rfsmoura 

Being able to connect the main router and the other wireless node(s) via Ethernet cable is very beneficial for the performance of your whole Wi-Fi network.

As for conventional router/access point setups. While they will also extend coverage, their main disadvantage is that client devices that are being moved around throughout your home (like smartphones, tablets) will not automatically switch over to the router/access point that provides the stronger signal. The switch only happens if you disconnect/reconnect manually or if the client device completely leaves the coverage of the router/access point it was originally connected to.

I am not current regarding the state of the various Mesh solutions available on the market and therefore can't tell which one is the best, but I know there are Mesh solutions available that allow the nodes to be connected either wirelessly or via Ethernet cable (also called "Ethernet backhaul").
The major advantage of the Mesh solutions is that wireless client devices will automatically be handed over to the node that provides the best signal at any given time. (at least that's how it should work)

Options
2021-04-05 12:14:32 - last edited 2021-04-05 12:19:46

@rfsmoura 

There's other option you may try - using AX50 as a wired extender (AP mode) - using ISP routers's DHCP server to serve AX50 client devices.

Since you already have cables to each room in your apartment (Cat6), you can leave the setup as it was before introducing AX50 in your network.

Place the AX50 (in AP mode) in another room closer to the apartment center and connect its WAN port to the ISP router LAN port.

Thus you'll keep your previous setup intact, avoid the issue with the Netgear switch and extend your wireless coverage in the apartment.

Of course that's not a mesh network with seamless roaming like DECO systems, but it would be the best way to utilize the AX50 you already have.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 732

Replies: 6