AX20 Negotiation Speed stuck at 100Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-07 09:23:59
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm having problems with my brand new AX20 router and thought maybe someone can help before I return it to the shop. 

When I took it out of the box, I could not get it working - it just did not connect. I had a Archer C50 router and it was working absolutely fine pretty much straight ouf the box (after I'd entered my PPoE credentials). But the green Internet light did not lit up on my AX20. So after getting some feedback from TP-Link CS, they told me to change the port Negotiation speed from Auto to 100Mbps and voila - the green light came on and LAN connection was established (I'm only talking about wired connections here - WiFi works fine and at full speed).

But now I'm stuck at much lower speeds over the cable. I have a solid 100/100 cable coming from the wall and with this 100Mbps Internet Port Negotiation speed I only get around 15Mbps down /90Mbps up when it used to be around 90Mbps both ways. As soon as I change the speed to 1000Mbps or Auto, the green Internet light goes off and connection disappears. 

As I said - internet cable is fine as it is working fine and at full speed with my old Archer C50 router. I've also done firmware update (automatic router update).

Any help is much appreciated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX20 Negotiation Speed stuck at 100Mbps
2021-04-07 10:09:16

@KurtA 

Hey

It does sound like a negotiation issue between the router and whatever device you have connected to it.   The speed you are talking about, im guessing this is the WAN port to your router and not the LAN port to your PC?  What is your current setup?  

Also what category of cable are you running between the devices?    Check the side of the cable and look for Cat5e or Category 6, something like that.

It could be the cable that connecting the devices hasnt enough bandwidth capability to support the full duplexing, some devices are fussier with cables than others and we do see this quite often.   If you have a CAT6 cable use that as Cat5 / Cat5e is now becoming obsolete.

Options
Re:AX20 Negotiation Speed stuck at 100Mbps
2021-04-07 11:45:03

@Philbert  Yes, it's all about WAN port. I have a CAT5e cable coming out of my wall - it's installed by the service provider and there's no modem in my setup as I live in a block of apartments. And as it was working fine at full speed with my old C50 router (still is if I plug it in), I do not think it's cables fault. I did get a late reply from customer services, recommending me to return the router to the shop as they think it's got a faulty WAN port or something. I'd still like to give it one last chance though.

Options