Firmware doesn't match up and does upgrade update both devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-13 22:46:25
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: c

I have the TL-WPA8630P v2.0 kit in the UK.

Have been have a few disconnection problems between the two which causes issues as I use it as backhaul link between two Asus routers.

I just upgraded the firmware via the webpage from 2.0.2 Build 20170509 Rel.58359 to 2.0.3 Build 20171018 Rel.36564 which went well no issues.

Firstly does this upgrade both boxes or one end?

I ask as if I use the tpplc software the main device says its firmware version is 2.2.3.32-00_863112_170509_902 and the secondary device has 2.2.2.1218-00_801132_161014_901

What concerns me is the secondary device looks a like a lower number but the main device has 170509 in it which matches the build date of what it originally had before I just upgraded it.

Either way none of the numbers match up.

You only seem to be able to download a .bin file which the main device will take via the tpplc app but the seconday wants an nvm or pib file.

Do I need to update the .bin file via the tpplc app as well?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Firmware doesn't match up and does upgrade update both devices?
2021-04-14 13:14:23

@Calzor_Suzay I'm new here but for what it's worth, in my experience, the firmware on adaptors have to be flashed individually using the TPPLC application.  They can be upgraded remotely via the TPPLC utility - you don't have to physically connect directly to the adaptor to perform the upgrade, but they do need to be done one at a time.

In your case, the TL-WPA8630P Kit is actually made up of two different devices - a TL-WPA8630P Powerline WiFi Extender and a TL-PA8010P Powerline adapter.  I would therefore assume that each device uses it's own firmware.  Here is the page for the TL-PA8010P - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-pa8010p-kit/v2/  Obviously double check hardware version via the product label before doing attempting a firmware update.  The firmware on that page contains a .pib and .nvm file.

Options
Re:Firmware doesn't match up and does upgrade update both devices?
2021-04-14 15:41:40

@Jon_E Excellent spot on the second device, it wasn't till you said that I looked on the back of it and you can see it's a whole different device.

Used the link and updated to the 'latest' although still 2017 firmware.

You/I would of hoped the kit firmware page would cover the 'kit' not just the main device that has the WiFi bit on it.

I tried the firmware update via the TPPLC utility on the main unit and it took it but still came back as the same version inside TPPLC.

Hopefully it was just a glitch, needed a reboot etc. but I've had quite a few days of random link loss between the two and as I use it for Asus AiMesh backhaul it does cause quite an outage.

I don't really need/want to buy replacements but my need now has reduced to no pass through, no WiFi, single 1Gb port so it wouldn't be bank breaking.

Cheers yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 711

Replies: 2