Why does my TP-Link Archer A5 query to DNS root server?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-26 05:37:34 - last edited 2023-04-24 09:01:17
Model: Archer A5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

My TP-Link archer a5 is sending requests to a.root-servers.net Is this normal? all dns queries should point out to OpenDNS on which i set as static but for some reasons, there are requests to recursive DNS. Can someone advise?

I have not blocked it as I think it may cause problem. I don't think ddwrt can be flashed either.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Why does my TP-Link Archer A5 query to DNS root server?-Solution
2021-04-27 07:48:09 - last edited 2023-04-24 09:01:17

@PaulVisco  Got it. That should be the built-in domain on the router firmware, it will try to resolve the domain to detect the online connection, only when it resolves the outside domain successfully, can it connect to the outside network fine. Please don't worry that it only resolves the DNS domain names, but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so there is no much traffic data will be used or required.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Why does my TP-Link Archer A5 query to DNS root server?
2021-04-26 07:02:30

@PaulVisco 

Can we have more details about this DNS request sending by the router? If you could provide some screenshots, that would be highly appreciated.

Do you set a static DNS server on the router? May I know who is your ISP?

Options
Re:Why does my TP-Link Archer A5 query to DNS root server?
2021-04-26 10:25:16

@Kevin_Z Hi there, thanks for your reply. Below is the screenshot of the dns query.

I wonder if this is a normal thing?

Yes, i have set static dns to opendns 208.67.222.222

Regarding my isp, i dont know what their dns servers are. Cheetah Broadband is the name (from ph).

Options
Re:Why does my TP-Link Archer A5 query to DNS root server?-Solution
2021-04-27 07:48:09 - last edited 2023-04-24 09:01:17

@PaulVisco  Got it. That should be the built-in domain on the router firmware, it will try to resolve the domain to detect the online connection, only when it resolves the outside domain successfully, can it connect to the outside network fine. Please don't worry that it only resolves the DNS domain names, but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so there is no much traffic data will be used or required.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2041

Replies: 3