Archer C80 losing time and TP-Link ID settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-11 14:32:55 - last edited 2021-05-14 01:00:00
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 210308 Rel.60033n(5553)

After each reboot my archer C80 loses time settings (Resets to "get from internet" with wrong time) and also loses TP-Link ID settings as if I never connected my account.

I've alredy tried a factory reset after latest upgrade.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Archer C80 losing time and TP-Link ID settings-Solution
2021-05-12 09:28:58 - last edited 2021-05-14 01:00:00

@airtonvfilho  @IvanCarlos 

We have double confirmed the issue you are reporting. 

As for the Time Settings issue reported by @IvanCarlos, our engineers confirmed that this is because that setting of Manually is not saved in the router flash, so you will lose that kind of setting once the router is rebooted. This is normal, it is not a firmware or hardware issue. Can we confirm again why do you configure it manually, does the router connect to the NTP server successfully? Geneally, you can get the correct time by choosing getting from Internet.

As for the TP-Link ID issue reported by @IvanCarlos and @airtonvfilho, when you login to the router web GUI by entering the device username and password, it will login locally by default. It looks like you are unlinked from the TP-Link Cloud when you go to the TP-Link ID page, but that is not true, you just reenter your TP-Link ID credentials, you can still login and link to the cloud account fine. This may be misleading, we will see how to improve this in the foreseeable future.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-14 20:08:45 - last edited 2021-05-17 01:14:33

@Kevin_Z 

So, I've just chagend my ISP to Fasternet (fiber) and indeed now the time servers work.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Archer C80 losing time and TP-Link ID settings
2021-05-12 01:52:26

@IvanCarlos 

May I know who is your ISP, and what kind of WAN connection type on the C80?

When you reboot the router, and it connects to the internet back, is the internet LED orange or green? Do you have internet access on the clients when connected to the router? You can try to change the DNS server on the router to something like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ((go to Advanced > Network > Internet), then reboot it again.

Options
2021-05-12 02:15:06

@Kevin_Z 

• May I know who is your ISP, and what kind of WAN connection type on the C80?

My ISP is Claro (Brazil, I prefer support in english and my router is the US version). Using Dynamic IP.

My modem is set to bridge mode and is connected to the C80.

• When you reboot the router, and it connects to the internet back, is the internet LED orange or green?

Green.

• Do you have internet access on the clients when connected to the router?

Yes, internet works normally.

• You can try to change the DNS server on the router to something like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ((go to Advanced > Network > Internet), then reboot it again.

I've been using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 since my first setup.

Additionally, I've tried with IPV6 on and off and smart wifi on and off.

A few days ago I couldn't access the router (connection timeout) but the internet was still working. A reboot fixed it.

Options
2021-05-12 02:46:53

@IvanCarlos 

Just to confirm again, do you mean it will lose time setting and TP-Link cloud setting for a short period after the router rebooted, or it will continue for long? As far as I can tell, when the router reboots, it will need some time to reconnect to the NTP server, you may wait for 3-5 minutes after it connects to the internet, then check again.

As for the TP-Link cloud account, it may choose to login to the device locally after the reboot, can you choose change the TP-Link Cloud account, then link to your account again after the reboot?

Options
2021-05-12 02:51:42 - last edited 2021-05-12 02:53:24

@Kevin_Z 

It resets the time setting permanently. I set it to "manually" or to "get from managing device". After reboot it's back to "get from internet" and with the wrong time.

I can't choose to change the account because it's as if I never configured one. It doesn't stay.

Options
2021-05-12 05:25:03

@IvanCarlos I'm from Brazil and I have this same problem with the TPLink ID.

After four firmware upgrades it still happens.

Options
2021-05-12 09:28:58 - last edited 2021-05-14 01:00:00

@airtonvfilho  @IvanCarlos 

We have double confirmed the issue you are reporting. 

As for the Time Settings issue reported by @IvanCarlos, our engineers confirmed that this is because that setting of Manually is not saved in the router flash, so you will lose that kind of setting once the router is rebooted. This is normal, it is not a firmware or hardware issue. Can we confirm again why do you configure it manually, does the router connect to the NTP server successfully? Geneally, you can get the correct time by choosing getting from Internet.

As for the TP-Link ID issue reported by @IvanCarlos and @airtonvfilho, when you login to the router web GUI by entering the device username and password, it will login locally by default. It looks like you are unlinked from the TP-Link Cloud when you go to the TP-Link ID page, but that is not true, you just reenter your TP-Link ID credentials, you can still login and link to the cloud account fine. This may be misleading, we will see how to improve this in the foreseeable future.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-12 11:40:35

@Kevin_Z 

I've tried multiple ntp servers and they all fail (Get Time From NTP Server Time Out). Any tips?

Options
2021-05-13 05:45:57

@IvanCarlos 

May I know who is your ISP? Are they special settings on the ISP modem, which may block the NTP server port?

You can also try to change the DNS servers from 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, then reboot the router to confirm.

Options
2021-05-13 11:59:50 - last edited 2021-05-13 12:00:26

@Kevin_Z 

They are Claro, as previously stated. I don't think they block NTP servers.

I can ping the servers (<20ms), if that helps.

Options
2021-05-14 01:00:20

@IvanCarlos 

To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2590

Replies: 13