Recommended access point for Archer AX50 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-06 11:56:57 - last edited 2021-06-08 18:19:09
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.09

Hi I have a TP-Link AX50 router and would like to extend the wifi coverage with an ethernet cable connected access point.

Should I buy a router similar to or can I use other models such as AX10 or AX20.
What should I buy?
What is easiest to configure?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Recommended access point for Archer AX50 router-Solution
2021-06-07 18:32:44 - last edited 2021-06-08 18:19:09

@T-CO 

Yeah you could do that I suppose, it would work ok in Access Point mode, that would also be a valid option for you! 

Seamless roaming would require you to have a OneMesh, Deco or Omada setup.  Basically, it requires all nodes to talk to each other via a controller/central node to handle the roaming.  

OneMesh is a compatible router and wifi extenders creating one mesh network, the router does the management

Deco is a pre-built mesh setup with one of the nodes acting as the master controller.  This in an addon to your existing router

Omada is the business grade hardware (EAP225,620 etc) and can be managed by a controller for a load of advanced features, including mesh and roaming.

Sadly none of the OneMesh or Omada hardware is compatible with the AX50 you have, if you wanted seamless roaming you would need to add in a Deco setup.. that could be expensive

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Recommended access point for Archer AX50 router
2021-06-06 15:23:59

@T-CO 

If you are after easy to configure, I would not be buying another router (AX10 / AX20 / AX50).   Ideally what you are after is an access point.

You have 2x options

1.   The  WA1201  will work for you when connected via a LAN cable, just set it up the same way as you have your router (SSID name and password).  However this is a WiFi5 device so will be a bit slower, there is currently no home grade WiFi6 APs from TP Link

2.  The business range..  EAP620 or EAP660.   Both are access points and will do the same as point 1, these are WiFi6 capable.   This would work.

However.. note you wont have seamless roaming with the Access Point setup.   It will disconnect and reconnect to strongest signal

Options
Re:Recommended access point for Archer AX50 router
2021-06-07 18:12:11

@Philbert 

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I was thinking of choosing an AX10 and then just putting it in "access point" operation mode instead of "router" operation mode.
The AX10 is only a little bit more expensive than the WA1201 and then it is wifi6.

What does it take to get seamless roaming?

Options
Re:Recommended access point for Archer AX50 router-Solution
2021-06-07 18:32:44 - last edited 2021-06-08 18:19:09

@T-CO 

Yeah you could do that I suppose, it would work ok in Access Point mode, that would also be a valid option for you! 

Seamless roaming would require you to have a OneMesh, Deco or Omada setup.  Basically, it requires all nodes to talk to each other via a controller/central node to handle the roaming.  

OneMesh is a compatible router and wifi extenders creating one mesh network, the router does the management

Deco is a pre-built mesh setup with one of the nodes acting as the master controller.  This in an addon to your existing router

Omada is the business grade hardware (EAP225,620 etc) and can be managed by a controller for a load of advanced features, including mesh and roaming.

Sadly none of the OneMesh or Omada hardware is compatible with the AX50 you have, if you wanted seamless roaming you would need to add in a Deco setup.. that could be expensive

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1705

Replies: 3