Incorrect/unchangeable password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-11 14:43:51
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My extender is connected to my existing home network fine, and it's created a new network, but the password it's created is just totally random and due to character length (around 90 characters) totally un-usable as most of my devices only have a 60 character limit. 

My actual WiFi password is about 15 characters, and that is the exact password I used to connect the extender to it. 

However, when logging into the Tether app, it shows my main WiFi network correctly,but the password as some random unknown 90 characters, which it's then duplicated for the extended Network. 

I cannot figure this out at all, and there doesn't appear to be anything in my router settings either. 

I bought the extender as I had to move my router for work reasons, which left a dead spot for signal at the back of my house, but since then I've only managed to connect my outdoor camera to it, because that had 100 character limit, things like my TV and smart speakers etc have much smaller character limits and I can't therefore connect them as there seems to be no way to change this random made up password it's showing.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Incorrect/unchangeable password
2021-06-15 10:21:39

@Charlie792  Thank you for your detailed post, 

If password changed to a random password (very long digit) ,that means router's Wi-Fi password changed in WPS process,  here is an FAQ to explain the situation:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/765/

It is recommended to change main router's wifi password to original wifi password.

Then reset range extender and use Tether app or web page to install RE, not using WPS button to avoid this happen again. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 286

Replies: 1

Related Articles