Getting Deco E4R working with VR600 modem router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-15 17:42:51
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi

I've had problems with a flaky modem dropping connections all the time and poor wifi coverage around the house using old access points so I went to the local electronics shop and bought an ARcher VR600 modem router and a triple pack of Deco E4R to deal with both issues. From what I can see I only needed a modem and I can't get the Deco stuff set up because the router functionality in the VR600 is interfering with it. This is annoying because I think I have wasted money buying a modem router when I just needed a modem.

Can someone confirm that

1) I can't make the VR 600 and the Deco E4R devices to work together except by switching off the router functionality in the VR 600

2) Which bits of functionality do I need to switch off on the VR 600 so that it will work?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Getting Deco E4R working with VR600 modem router
2021-06-15 19:27:50

@Lesauchet 

Hey

The Deco and the VR can work together OK, you have not wasted your money.

However I would advise disabling the WiFi on the VR600 and using only the Deco for WiFi.  You technically don't have to do that, however the Deco will allow you to roam around without disconnecting, this doesn't work with the VR600 only the Deco.  Therefore best turning off the VR600 WiFI

Once that is done, plug the first deco into any of the LAN ports on the VR600 and open the DECO app on your phone

Any hassle just drop a message back

Options
Re:Getting Deco E4R working with VR600 modem router
2021-06-15 19:28:16 - last edited 2021-06-15 19:31:18

@Lesauchet 

You can use VR600 as a router and Deco mesh for WiFi coverage. This would be similar setup to mine, where I have ISP provided cable modem/router to which I attached Deco mesh for good in house WiFi coverage.

For that:

1. You will need to turn off WiFi in VR600. If you don't know, how, you'll need to check router documentation.

2. You will need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. See the guide to configure the Deco E4R as an Access Point: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1842/

I had no problems configuring Deco with my router, and you weren't specific what problems did you encounter with Deco initial configuration. See the following troubleshooting guide for help with Deco setup: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2239/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 2

Related Articles