Does WDS Will Divide The Bandwidth

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-23 09:25:43 - last edited 2021-06-23 09:27:03
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello TP Link Engineers

I have  a question, if two Archer C80 are connected via WDS bridge, does it divide the Bandwidth?

Example: The Two Archer C80 connected via WDS  at 5 ghz, will both Routers now divide their bandwidth?

Please confirm. I don't have a software to check the bandwidth/speed between the two routers on WDS.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Does WDS Will Divide The Bandwidth
2021-06-23 12:10:55

@EnzoConqueror 

Yes, it wil be halved.

Since 802.11 / WiFi is CSMA/CA protocol based and since it faces collisions, its a half-duplex communication.

That means the speed will be halved at every hop.

For example, if a packet needs 3 hops to arrive at its final destination the speed will be just 1/8 of the nominal speed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-23 12:41:32

@terziyski 

Hello thanks for the reply. This is my current setup.

I still have no time to layout cables.

Options
2021-06-23 12:58:03 - last edited 2021-06-23 13:04:33

@EnzoConqueror 

Nice diagram.

Yes, the speed would be halved between the two wi-fi routers.

Keep in mind that if WDS is built over 5Ghz band the usable distance between the routers would be shorter than if you use the 2.4GHz band.

Also beware of a double NAT in your network - it depends where the NAT is introduced - whether in load balancer or the wi-fi router after.

if you're experiencing unstable connection (dropouts, interruptions, etc.), then cable is the best way to go between those two wi-fi routers.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-23 13:33:24

@terziyski 

I see, the two routers is about 30 meters a part. No time yet to layout cables. Maybe I will do it now.

Options
2021-06-23 13:37:44
By the way. The router that is connected from the load balancer is of different subnet. I connected the WAN of the Router to the LAN of the Load Balancer.
Options
2021-06-23 13:54:00

@EnzoConqueror 

If your load balancer is the main NAT / DHCP server device, then to avoid the double NAT, you can use the following scenario - Case 2.

In this scenario you use a LAN port (not the WAN port) to connect to the previous device.

Thus the wi-fi router won't make NAT (it practically behaves like an AP and it's IP address will be in the same subnet.

Same for the second wi-fi router - in this scenario it won't make NAT (same subnet), but the WDS feature will still be available to use.

Options
2021-06-23 14:30:33

@terziyski 

The challenge of making it into AP, the one mesh functionality will become disabled.

I also have plan of mesh setup in the future.

How to avoid double NAT when letting one router remains as router?

Options
2021-06-23 14:48:23 - last edited 2021-06-23 14:53:54

@EnzoConqueror 

In the posted scenario - Case 2 the device is still in router mode, hence all its features are available,

though I am not sure if WDS setup will work in conjunction with OneMesh.

You'll have to test that. Otherwise you'll have to trade off avoiding double NAT for this to work.

Options
2021-06-23 16:23:43

@EnzoConqueror 

Hi,

How fast are your Internet connections? If you've got really fast Internet connections (like > 200 Mbps), then just check the bandwidth of the connection via an Internet service like speedtest.net or fast.com.

30 meters between the two C80 routers is quite some distance, especially if the routers are not in line of sight. Depending on the actual circumstances (i.e. walls/objects, no unused channels remaining in your neighborhood) you might end up with a really low speed on the side of the secondary router if it's connected to the main router via WDS. So maybe you should better do some real testing first before you decide to go the WDS route.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1413

Replies: 9

Related Articles